Gravity measurements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frothdaddy

Reaction score
I brewed a Northern Brewer Honey Weizen kit over the weekend and fermentation is going along nicely. I guess I should avoid needlessly checking gravity, as this will increase the chances of oxidation/infection, but how long should I wait before I take a gravity measurement to see if fermentation is done enough to go to the secondary?

.....when the airlock stops bubbling is usually my indicator that it's time for a reading. Or alternatively if it's still bubbling with regularity after a week.

I assume you are fermenting in a bucket, if so, wait a week, pop the top and see where it is, if it's not ready, give it another week.

Alternately, if you are using a glass carboy and can see inside, wait for the krausen to drop and take a reading.

Once the reading is constant for 2 or more consecutive days it is ready to rack.

The secondary is really just for clearing, so the fermentation needs to be done before you transfer. Check the gravity when the airlock is down to once a minute.

with hefes i would wait for the krausen to drop. they tend to hang on a bit after fermentation has completed, so you'll give it some good time to finish up before you mess with her and she'll probably be ready to go.

you don't need to secondary a hefe. if you leave it two or more weeks in the primary, it's usually ready to bottle or keg.

if its in a bucket use a flashlight to see where the krausen is at. You should be able to use the light on the other side of the bucket, and look through to see inside.

Back