Can I do an all wheat mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r_vear

Reaction score
I am currently living in a place where there is nothing available, as far as I can tell but wheat. Now I have 7.5lbs of crushed wheat, and I'm not sure if it's malted or not. I know that I need the enzymes of someting malted to help break down the wheat so all that I could find was 2 lbs. of Malted Wheat Flakes. Will that be enough or does my mash require malted barley?

From what I have read, you cannot do an all-wheat beer. If I recall correctly, it is recommended to have no more than 50% wheat as the grain bill. You will need some malted barley to give you the enzymatic action that is needed. (Please correct me if I am wrong). I hope that this helps.

Mark

r_vear said:
I am currently living in a place where there is nothing available, as far as I can tell but wheat. Now I have 7.5lbs of crushed wheat, and I'm not sure if it's malted or not. I know that I need the enzymes of someting malted to help break down the wheat so all that I could find was 2 lbs. of Malted Wheat Flakes. Will that be enough or does my mash require malted barley?

Well, 100% malted wheat beers have been done successfully... but I can't speak to your ingredients. Why not try it and let us know how it turns out?! ;)

I believe malted wheat can self-convert, so a 100% wheat beer is theoretically possible, but probably not a good idea. I'm sure someone has done it. I know the folks at Basic Brewing did a 100% rye beer.

Unless you have a load of rice hulls or are doing BIAB, you'll never be able to sparge. I've gone as high as 60% wheat with no issues (doing BIAB).

In this case, i don't know if wheat malt can convert other grains, so if the other wheat you have hasn't had something done to convert it already i don't know if it'd work. Plus if you can't get a lautering aid (rice hulls etc) or do BIAB you're guaranteed a stuck sparge.

Qhrumphf said:
I believe malted wheat can self-convert, so a 100% wheat beer is theoretically possible, but probably not a good idea. I'm sure someone has done it. I know the folks at Basic Brewing did a 100% rye beer.

They're also the guys who do a 100% wheat beer ;)

Mail order? There are so many great online retailers for brewing ingredients on the sponsors page here. More and more Northern Brewer gets my money compared to the local shops. It makes me feel guilty about not supporting the local economy, but the shops NEVER have everything I need.

I thought malted wheat actually had more enzymes than 2-row malted barley, but I could be wrong. I don't think 2 lbs of malted wheat flakes will be enough to convert 7.5 lbs of unmalted wheat though. I'm not even sure if the enzymes would still be there after the flaking process. If the 7.5 lbs of wheat are actually malted then there won't be any conversion problems, but sparging will still suck.

Unless you have a load of rice hulls or are doing BIAB, you'll never be able to sparge. I've gone as high as 60% wheat with no issues (doing BIAB).

In this case, i don't know if wheat malt can convert other grains, so if the other wheat you have hasn't had something done to convert it already i don't know if it'd work. Plus if you can't get a lautering aid (rice hulls etc) or do BIAB you're guaranteed a stuck sparge.

What is a BIAB?

Mail order? There are so many great online retailers for brewing ingredients on the sponsors page here. More and more Northern Brewer gets my money compared to the local shops. It makes me feel guilty about not supporting the local economy, but the shops NEVER have everything I need.
Unfortunately there is no possibility for mail order where I am, so I have to work with what I've got. Soon I may be able to get some barley in once I meet the right people. That may be months from now though.

Unfortunately there is no possibility for mail order where I am, so I have to work with what I've got. Soon I may be able to get some barley in once I meet the right people. That may be months from now though.

What is a BIAB?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

"Brew In A Bag". Basically it's replacing a traditional mash tun/false bottom with a large grain bag, and then doing the mash in the boil kettle. A number of different ways to go about it.

The important part relevant to this thread is that BIAB works very well combined with no-sparge brewing, or provides a number of different ways of doing a sparge, all of which would work around the gummy texture of wheat (or rye) that would make sparging in a traditional mash tun impossible.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

"Brew In A Bag". Basically it's replacing a traditional mash tun/false bottom with a large grain bag, and then doing the mash in the boil kettle. A number of different ways to go about it.

The important part relevant to this thread is that BIAB works very well combined with no-sparge brewing, or provides a number of different ways of doing a sparge, all of which would work around the gummy texture of wheat (or rye) that would make sparging in a traditional mash tun impossible.

I do actually have a large grain bag and that was my original plan. I was going to sparge into another pot of water at 170 or so. I would then mix the wort from the two pots together to start my boil. I will be bittering and flavoring this wheat beer with flowers and herbs, due to the fact that hops are no where to be found in the middle east.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back