Anyone hear of using a fudge kettle for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Reaction score
I saw an ad for a 20 qt. fudge kettle and was wondering if this is something that can be used for brewing. A quick search on the webbernet tells me they're expensive though.

I've never brewed anything but kits

Hmmm. Well they all seem to have agitators which aren't necessary at all in the boil kettle. However, they might make a fantastic mash tun. They seem too expensive to make sense though.

20 QT is only 65 gallons. I have a 7.0 gal pot and can only do partial boils. Seems a bit small unless you plan to do 2.5 gal batches.

I have a 26lt pot and can do full boils. Have to watch it though!! So 20 lt might be a bit small.

I wouldn't use it.....

Fudge-Packer-938.jpg

If you're talking about THIS kind of fudge kettle, I would kill to be able to get one reasonably priced to brew in. I've been looking for one for Historical Recreation brewing at events for a couple years.

copperkettle.jpeg

Even this old apple butter kettle would be awesome.

5568312_1_l.jpg

Check out Agri Supply, they have several large ones that are very affordable. The big question is how to get the wort out...

davefleck said:
Check out Agri Supply, they have several large ones that are very affordable. The big question is how to get the wort out...

Siphon? That should work. It did for me before my ball valve.

Try to resist making fudge in it though...

Check out Lehman's. They have all sorts of old school stuff like that. Unfortunately, you can get a badass Blichman with all the bells and whistles for what a fragile copper curved bottom kettle would cost. It'd be cool to have but not too practical I suppose.

Back