How do you lower the IC into the wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyjacobs

Reaction score
So I throw my IC into my wort 10 - 15 minutes before flameout to sanitize....

My problem is it kills my boil for a good couple of minutes, forcing me to spike my flame up to "high" and risk the dreaded scorching....

So, do you all just drop it in and not worry? Lower very slowly to allow the kettle to stay on boil? It's 50' of 3/8" ID, (1/2" OD) tube, so it's a decent amount of thermal mass...

I flameout and then add IC. 212 degrees will insta pasteurize the IC. Actually 201 is the temp for Ultra High Temp (UHT) pasteurization and that process requires 1 second at temp.

I flameout and then add IC. 212 degrees will insta pasteurize the IC. Actually 201 is the temp for Ultra High Temp (UHT) pasteurization and that process requires 1 second at temp.

Not to nitpick, but I believe UHT requires a temperature of 275F. Either way, you are certainly achieving sufficient pasteurization.

In reality, sufficient pasteurization is achieved at temperatures as low as 162F for ~15 seconds. So, there is no need to boil the IC, just drop it in after flameout like dontman said.

+1 to flameout chiller addition :) I also give mine a 5 minute pre-soak in Star-San. Cleans up any surface oxidation on the copper before it goes in my wort.

-Joe

My IC is in the pot as I add the wort. I boil the wort with the IC in the entire time. Never noticed a problem, but I am relatively new to AG. If this is something that should be avoided, please ..... Let me know.

Salute! :mug:

I put mine it with 10 minutes or so left in the boil. It doesn't kill my boil, though. Is yours full of water when you put it in? Mine is completely empty, because the first time I stuck it in I didn't blow out the water, and I didn't have it connected to the hoses-and it shot boiling water out of the ends, scalding me. Now, I empty it fully (blowing out the water) and put it in and then a few minutes later I connect the hoses.

As the others said, though, as long as it sanitized you're ok. It doesn't matter how long it's in there. Long enough to sanitize is fine!

I spray mine with starsan just before putting it in at flame out. I could probably skip the starsan but the spray bottle is sitting there anyway.

I put mine it with 10 minutes or so left in the boil. It doesn't kill my boil, though. Is yours full of water when you put it in? Mine is completely empty, because the first time I stuck it in I didn't blow out the water, and I didn't have it connected to the hoses-and it shot boiling water out of the ends, scalding me. Now, I empty it fully (blowing out the water) and put it in and then a few minutes later I connect the hoses.

As the others said, though, as long as it sanitized you're ok. It doesn't matter how long it's in there. Long enough to sanitize is fine!

Mine is definitely empty....but like I said it's a big one, (pipe was cheap, so why not go for the 50' 1/2" model? I can cool to 80 in 8-9 minutes :rockin:), and I'm just boiling in a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer, (so no extra thermal mass from a heavier duty SS pot or keggle)....

I even tried slowly lowering it in this last time, but I got about 2 coils in and the boil started to flag....so I said screw it and just dropped it in and cranked up the flame.

I have a good solid rolling boil going before I do this too....

I just add it 15-20 minutes in, it doesn't take all that long for the boil to return...It doesn't really affect your beer if it drops a few degrees for a few minutes during the course of a 60 or 90 minute boil....

What works for me is running my chiller (3/8" dia x 50'), and all the other stuff that I need post boil, through the dishwasher on the antibacterial setting without soap. I don't open the dishwasher door until the boil is over.

I lower 50 ft 3/8" diam IC into the pot after flameout. As lamarguy mentioned, near-boiling wort will sanitize the outside of the chiller instantly, even given its thermal mass, possibly with residual water inside. Microbial death over time increases exponentially as temperature increases. Thus, 15 seconds @ 162 F is equivalent to very short time @ 200 F+

Back