Old Codger Crown Cage Caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
I was buying some carboys from a guy that deals on craigslist. I've bought things from him before, and he always seems to run across these neato things. Today I bought 24 of these for $5 total.

crowncagecapscs4.jpg

I know you can't read it, but inside the cap it says

EICK
MAR.226
PAT.

Here's how they fit onto bottles.

crowncagecapuv4.jpg

I've never seen them before! The rubber looks OK still. I'm thinking that if they still work, I'd like to cage some belgians with em. Google doesn't seem to want to be my friend, and so I ask you. Has anyone seen these before, and where would I new new rubber bits if they don't seal? Or at the very least, where do they come from and how old are they?

Uh, your question was...

Has anyone seen these before, and where would I new new rubber bits if they don't seal? Or at the very least, where do they come from and how old are they?

I'm guessing no one knows the answers:D...I never saw them before you posted them, so I can't answer where the came from...

If you needed to replace the rubber bits are they the same size as the ones on Grolsch bottles?

They are sweet though.

OllllO, maybe he didn't get the cool "read the hidden posts" glasses in the membership packet...maybe his ONLY came with the sticker.:D

I got two stickers, and no "read the hidden posts" glasses. :( All of the red part is rubber and they look like all one piece.

I was mostly commenting on them and was enamoured with my new toys and wondering if anyone else had ever seen them before. Since no one's heard or seen em, anybody know a way to resoften old rubber?

You could try some rubber rejuvenator, like us printer/copier techs use on rubber feed rollers. I couldn't say if it's food safe or not though. Stuff works wonders on dried out rubber, makes it nice and soft and tachy again.

Latest posts

Back