Does yeast bite ever go away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frijole

Reaction score
I left my brew on the yeast cake for a month and it's got some major yeast bite. Will any amount of bottle conditioning help?

You could try cold crashing to get as much yeast to drop out as possible, then go to a secondary for more clearing, but I don't know if this will leave you with too little yeast to carb in the bottles, but I'd think so. Some time in bottles should help, too.

If you're tasting a hydrometer reading, have no fear. It will mellow.

If you're tasting the beer in secondary, have no fear. It will mellow.

If you're tasting the beer out of the bottling bucket, have no fear. It will mellow.

If you're tasting beer that's in the bottle, have no fear. It will mellow.

There's really only two off-flavors that will never mellow, no matter what you do. Oxidation (soggy cardboard) and infection (pure death, you'll know it when/if you taste it.) Even DMS (corn, or rotten vegetable flavor) will tend to mellow out with age, altough it will always be present. Just a bit of yeast taste means that either the beer needs more time, or that you need to pour your homebrew more gently from the bottle, and discard the last 1/2" or so.

It's already in the bottle ~2wks last I checked and it still had a pretty strong chlorine like taste. Is that how you would describe yeast bite? Or, could it be something else?

I have a pretty strong off flavor in my beer and I assumed it was yeast bite b/c I left it in the primary for 4wks. It tastes like chlorine to me. Is that what you would describe the taste of yeast bite as? How would you describe it if not?

I'll have to taste it again tonight and try and explain it better. Maybe chlorine isn't the best choice.

Back