Developing clumps during cold conditioning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlejon326

Reaction score
I made what i call my Insano-IPA, mostly becuase ive never done a beer with so much bitterness. anyway it's an all grain batch using white labs WLP051. I batch primed with corn sugar after i slowly filtered through loose cheesecloth and let it carb for two weeks, I put the bottles in the fridge and before i put them in i noticed what looked like floating priming sugar - looked like what sugar looks like when you mix it with water basically. anyway i go to check the bottles today and after one full day of being int he fridge i notice large chunks of..somethin..in the bottles. it isnt in any of the bottles that are still in the closet only in the few i put in the fridge so hopefully not an infection. anyone got any answers?

Did you dissolve the sugar in boiling water before priming? You didn't mention how long it fermented.

There are several things different about your process than in mine I am not sure I can help much. At the very least this is a bump.

1. 2 weeks does not seem like long enough to carb. When I bottle condition I use DME so it takes a little longer but if memory serves with sugar 3 weeks was the minimum.
2. "slowly filtered through loose cheesecloth" ? Please Explain Better... I am not saying this is wrong, I am interested

Hey chris,
First of all I do a 2 gallon batch - not enough room in my place in cali to keep a larger carboy at a stable temp. I did mix and boil the sugar, using the exact ammount via tastybrew calc.

the reason I filtered this through cheesecloth is that i dont have a kettle with a false bottom, and with the fermenters i use i had just an insane ammount of hops and left over grain particles even in the secondary, so what i do is have a siphoning tube that i put an adjustable clamp on midway. i close the clamp tight to make a very steady and slow flow that goes through a cheesecloth patch tied to the other end before it goes into the bottling bucket - the ammount of hops leaves and leftover trub it catch is amazing and sometimes surprising.

I always did 2 weeks carb, but i am going to save the left over bottles i have and keep them in the closet for one more week at least.

Back