Water is heating up. Got a quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stadtbrau

Reaction score
5th or 6th batch underway here and Im making an Imperial IPA. 18lbs of grain and loads of hops!! (5 gallon batch)

I am mashing in at 1.5 qts / lb and thats 6.75 gallons plus the .75 under the false bottom. I have fly sparged all bathes to date and have been curious about batch sparging. Seems like now would be a good time.. should i just drain this sucker into the boil kettle? I need 7 gallon pre poil to end up with 5.5. I should probably even do more to account for the losses to whole hops.

any suggestions? first batch sparge or just waste propane heating this dam sparge water.

I fly sparged my very 1st. batch then I batched sparged the next and I haven't went back.

I would suggest a double batch sparge. I think you would be pretty safe with two batch sparges of 3 gallons each and both around 170. Let each sit for 10-15 minutes.

I use the stove top in the house to heat my first sparge. Then the propane for the second one.

5th or 6th batch underway here and Im making an Imperial IPA. 18lbs of grain and loads of hops!! (5 gallon batch)

I am mashing in at 1.5 qts / lb and thats 6.75 gallons plus the .75 under the false bottom. I have fly sparged all bathes to date and have been curious about batch sparging. Seems like now would be a good time.. should i just drain this sucker into the boil kettle? I need 7 gallon pre poil to end up with 5.5. I should probably even do more to account for the losses to whole hops.

any suggestions? first batch sparge or just waste propane heating this dam sparge water.

I've always single sparged with good results. Certainly recommend it or at least trying it. Whether you do it with this batch or not.

I have a brew chart below in my signature that is setup for single batch sparging based upon Ken Schwartz's and Kai's work (along with a few others). May be of help to you.

Good luck.

cp

Thanks for the quick responses. can you email me that chart? I cant seem to open it. I dont have a rapidshare account. thanks.

Back