What styles are normally quickest to produce?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Poor planning has left me behind the 8 ball and in short supply of sweet sweet homebrew, so I was wanting to brew something that could be ready to drink in a month and a half or so. I'd heard of coarse lower gravity, lower alcohol, ales and I thought I read Hefe's were a good young beer, would that go for most other wheat beers? Does style really determine it or is it more ingredients and marrying of flavors? I think I'm getting some kegging equipment for xmas so I think I'll try force carbing, that speeds things up right? Still new to brewing and like everyone, there's never enough time for it. I've never made, but interested in making a Hefe, IPA or APA, or maybe redoing a Brown ale I botched previously. Any thoughts on quick batches?

I would say that most beers 1.060 or less are ready to drink in 6 weeks. Anything can benefit from aging, but 6 weeks is enough for most. I make a belgian wit that's ready and in fact should be tapped 3 weeks after brewing. Most wheats are generally ready at a younger "age." I would say the lighter the beer style the sooner they are ready in general.

:tank:

I recommend the AHS Bavarian Hefe, went from brew to glass in 6 weeks, and tastes great. I also kegged it.

Cream Ales.. like BierMunchers Cream of 3 Crops is a very quick turn around beer. English Mild is also pretty quick turn around. Ive done either and gone from grain to glass in 14 days.

I think any ale with a starting gravity below 1.042ish can give refreshing results in a week if you force carb, have good temp control and pitch enough yeast so they don't stress out. (this time of year my garage is too cold to finish an ale in a week. )

I was at my LHBS the other day talking to guys who brew when they go camping and are drinking by the end o the trip. That is quick!

Here's my recipe for a VERY quick (but tasty!) hefeweizin. Ten days from kettle to glass, kegged and force-carbed. Brewed it 2 weeks before Halloween this year and it was ready to go the day of the party.

Panic Button Hefeweizen

6 lbs wheat DME (55% wheat, Briess I think)
1/2 tsp powdered cloves (10 min)
1 long cinnamon stick (~8") (10 min)
1 oz Hallertauer pellets 60 min
0.5 oz Hallertauer leaf 10 min
0.5 oz Hallertauer leaf @ flameout.
Safbrew WB-06 dry yeast (re-hydrate and pitch)
OG ~ 1.053, FG ~1.010, IBU ~22.

I put a blowoff tube on it for a week, then transferred directly to the keg. Put it aside for the next week until Halloween, but tried some after a couple days in the keg. It was still fermenting in the keg, so no pressure needed to dispense, but I did need to force-carb for halloween. This beer was the hit of the party.

Another +1 for Hefe's.
60% Wheat, 40% Pils.
15 IBU's
Pitch 3068
Bottle as soon as it stops and drink by week 1.

Have you trademarked that name? I want to steal it!! :D

Trademarked? Nah, not yet. Though if my buddy and I ever get off the ground with our professional brewing plans (pipe dream at this point, but someday...someday...) we may need to have a conversation. ;)

In the meantime, feel free!

:off: I called it that because I already had my pumpkin ale conditioning for the Halloween party the day I decided to make the stuff, and was panicking about what I could get done in just over 2 weeks that would be tasty. Fortunately, hefes are both popular with most people and lickity-split quick to ferment. And, thus, Panic Button Hefeweizen was born. :mug:

The Schoultz Meyer "Don't Call Me Hefe" on brewmasterswarehouse.com is really good, I was tapping the keg at about 2.5 weeks and was fabulous at 3 weeks. I second Ed's Haus Pale Ale, if I remember I start drinking that at around 3 weeks as well.

My recipe for "Minute Wheat" was 14 days from brew to glass. It's crisp and delicious, and was a real crowd-pleaser. I've made it four times in the past year, and the keg tends to get kicked within a few days of tapping.

3LBS Briess Light DME
1LB Rice Syrup Solids (or 1.33lbs liquid Rice Syrup)
1LB Briess Dry Wheat Malt Extract
4OZ Crystal 40, steeped @ 150*F for 10 minutes
1OZ Fuggles (4.5%AA), 60 minutes
Nottingham Dry Yeast

Back