Beer carbed itself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I made two batches of my favorite IPA last time I brewed. I put one on tap and kegged one but put it in the closet after hitting it with 30PSI to seal it. Well I kicked the 1st keg yesterday and just hooked up the new keg. It has been sitting about 6 weeks. It had a lot of pressure in the keg. So rather then let it sit there at 30PSI for 36 hours, I hooked it up and pulled a little. 100% foam since it was warm, but I let the foam settle and the beer is decently carbed. Very drinkable as is! So I just left it at 12psi serving pressure and will pull a pint tomorrow and see how it is.

Anyone else have this happen? I assume there were some residual fermentables left after primary fermentation (I don't secondary) and that was enough to carb the beer.

[...]I assume there were some residual fermentables left after primary fermentation (I don't secondary) and that was enough to carb the beer.

That can happen - unintentionally or as the result of careful planning. And if the brew continues to taste good, that's likely exactly what happened.

Otoh, if it starts to go sour, it might have a lacto infection...

Cheers!

Back