Old beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
I was given two cases of Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale that are well past their fresh drink by date. One says June 20 2009 the other is October 29 2009. I mainly took them for the bottles but is there any chance the beer will still be good? I have one of each chilling in the fridge so I guess I will find out soon enough. What is the likely effect that much time has had on the beer?

May taste okay, may not. Can't hurt you, though. Might as well give them a shot.

Another thread on right now says that hoppy beers (as a pale ale should be, IMO) lose their hoppy flavor over time. I bet they were a bit better than drinkable, unless they were stored in direct sunlight or varied temperatures. :cross:

How did they turn out? My guess would be that they'd be more like a Special Bitter, but still good.

I'm having one of the June dated ones now and while the aroma is not really there the beer still tastes almost exactly like the burning river I have had in the past........In other words yay for me! 2 free cases of beer!

Back