back to basics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrk97420

Reaction score
Do many advanced all grain brewers go back and make a few extract/partial mash batches? I have found myself doing this quite often lately. It cuts a few hours off as well as simply makes it easier. Heck, I even bought a couple ingredient kits with the grains crushed and all. :mug:

I dont consider extract as basic brewing. Basic for me in single infusion mashing. I actually enjoy the extra steps involved in AG over extract.

I did two all grain batches but have since gone back to partial mash. I actually prefer PM to AG, the amount of work is just right and the result is almost identical.

I've been brewing for seven years and I probably do mini-mashes more than anything else. With 4-5 pounds of grain, I mash with 2.5 gallons of water, mix in the extract and start heating the wort while batch sparging with another 3 gallons. I don't have to pay any attention to the tun & drain it after 15 minutes. The first runnings will be near boiling, so when I add the second run the wort is around 180F.

No extra boil time is needed to concentrate the wort and I get very good efficiency.

I routinely do a batch of ale in under 3 hours. Figure $3-4 extra for the extract over all grain, but I probably get a buck back on reduced propane usage.

david_42 said:
I've been brewing for seven years and I probably do mini-mashes more than anything else. With 4-5 pounds of grain, I mash with 2.5 gallons of water, mix in the extract and start heating the wort while batch sparging with another 3 gallons. I don't have to pay any attention to the tun & drain it after 15 minutes. The first runnings will be near boiling, so when I add the second run the wort is around 180F.

No extra boil time is needed to concentrate the wort and I get very good efficiency.

I routinely do a batch of ale in under 3 hours. Figure $3-4 extra for the extract over all grain, but I probably get a buck back on reduced propane usage.

Sounds good. I think I've got it wrong, not sure I followed it.

Heat mash water (maybe 20 minutes.)
Mash for 90 minutes? (maybe 60)
Start the boil on extract and the wort drained from the mash.
Batch sparge for 15 minutes.
Drain and had to boil kettle.
Fetch to boil. (maybe 15 mins)
Add hops
Boil 60 minutes
Cool. (maybe 30 minutes)

I get that to around 4 hrs + Have I got the procedure wrong?

60 minute boil, 10 minutes for cooling. Only about 10 minutes for heating the mash water, because it's just 2.5 gallons. The sparge water is heated while the mash is working. I sparge hot & use pH 5.2 to avoid tannins. I crush my grain when I buy it, so I suppose I could add 2.5 hours for the trip to Corvallis & back. ;) Clean up as I go, because I hate cleaning up.

Back