How to dispose of trub? (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamoore

Reaction score
What do you do with this stuff? I just racked my first brew to keg, and now I've got to clean up. Where do you put this mess? Thanks in advance. ;)

26743_10150159396405553_790740552_11509574_616064_n.jpg

26743_10150159396420553_790740552_11509575_5748418_n.jpg

26743_10150159396440553_790740552_11509576_2506062_n.jpg

26743_10150159396465553_790740552_11509577_4637005_n.jpg

26743_10150159396475553_790740552_11509578_4731071_n.jpg

i just put mine down the drain, i don't believe i've heard anything bad about putting it in your septic system (if that's what you have).

congrats on your first brew...enjoy

I throw mine outside in the garden as well... I want a keg set up... I think I'll shoot for that as a birthday gift to myself...

i just put mine down the drain, i don't believe i've heard anything bad about putting it in your septic system (if that's what you have).

congrats on your first brew...enjoy

I know yeast is great for the old style septics, not sure about the newer aerobic ones.

Yeast is great for septic systems, I was told by my septic guy to not waste money on rid-ex or other products and just drop a packet of activerise yeast once a month. I've actually been wondering what the effects of a lager yeast would be, since the septic tank is underground it should sit at around 50-55 degrees which would be ideal for lager yeast activity whereas ale and active rise yeasts would be more dormant. Either way though, down the drain if you have a septic or compost pile if you don't.

I've actually been wondering what the effects of a lager yeast would be, since the septic tank is underground it should sit at around 50-55 degrees which would be ideal for lager yeast activity whereas ale and active rise yeasts would be more dormant.

Oh geez. :rolleyes: :)

Yeast is great for septic systems, I was told by my septic guy to not waste money on rid-ex or other products and just drop a packet of activerise yeast once a month. I've actually been wondering what the effects of a lager yeast would be, since the septic tank is underground it should sit at around 50-55 degrees which would be ideal for lager yeast activity whereas ale and active rise yeasts would be more dormant. Either way though, down the drain if you have a septic or compost pile if you don't.

Whatever you do don't make a starter!!! You don't want too active a fermentation, otherwise you may have a blow off of krausen coming up through your pipes.

Yeah I dont think we need to discuss the proper pitching rate of septic systems. I just flush it down the toilet or dump it outside.

Thanks for the answers, everyone. I dumped it into the crapper. :)

As for the brew - it belongs in there with the yeast cake. It's not spoiled, it just sucks, and I'm kind of a perfectionist. I made a few mistakes on brew day number 1, and I won't make them again next time. Brewing again tomorrow, and I'm looking for much better results. Thanks again!

Thanks for the answers, everyone. I dumped it into the crapper. :)

As for the brew - it belongs in there with the yeast cake. It's not spoiled, it just sucks, and I'm kind of a perfectionist. I made a few mistakes on brew day number 1, and I won't make them again next time. Brewing again tomorrow, and I'm looking for much better results. Thanks again!

Give your beer a few weeks to carb up and condition before you pass judgement.

Ditto, How longs it been since brew day. My beers get 6-7 weeks from brew day till drawing from the keg

Equal parts trub and ice, add a banana, some yogurt and blend it up. Instant hop smoothie!

Delicious and good for you. I think.

-Joe

Lol! You made poo beer! I would avoid a blow-off tube on that one if I were you :off:

Back