Brewers Best Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevjt

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been reading for a while and now have my first question...
While I was in town today running some errands I decided to swing by the brew store since I was getting low on sanitizer. I came out with a Brewers Best Kolsch kit and a vial of WLP029. Now here is where my problem is. I was under the assumption ( yes I'm new, only 4 brews so far) that I could pitch the vial of yeast directly to the wort. While doing a little research today I see it is recommended to make a starter. The vial directions say you can do a direct pitch if the the OG is under 1.070, the target OG of this Kolsch kit is 1.044 - 1.050.
So, if you were me and lived one hour away from the brew store and have no extra extract lying around to use for a starter, what would you do? I can always wait a couple of weeks to start it until we get back to town, or is it possible to do a direct pitch? I would really like to get it going, but I don't want to ruin it either. Advice?

Well, your OG is gonna be under 1.070 so you could do a direct pitch. I would want to at least proof the vial, put them in some kind of sugar water to be sure they are alive before I do anything irrevocable on brew day.

Alternatively you could use table sugar to make a starter. Or you could go to Starbunks and grab a pocketful of those brown packets with the Demarara sugar in them. Or if you got a Trader Joe's around you could pick up a bottle of super duper environmetally friendly maple syrup. You could use a little honey.

Next time you are at the LHBS you might pick up an extra pound of DME for occasions just like this one, but I wouldn't. The yeast don't care.

Actually as delicate as Kolsches are making a starter with something other than DME might be a good idea. Can you use the corn sugar you have in stock already for your starter and replace it before you bottle?

If its a BB kit you have DME in there. Use a little of it to make a small starter to proof the yeast and let'em perk for about 12 hours, this should do fine. Make sure you boil the DME in water just like wort to sanitize though. I infected a beer not long ago with my first starter by not boiling proper. You can add a little of the priming sugar too, to bring the gravity of the starter up. You can always get more priming sugar later while the beer ages.

Thanks for the replies. I went with the advice of HillbillyDeluxe, will brew tomorrow.

It only takes 1 cup DME or so to make a 1L/Quart starter, just pitch the whole thing at high krausen and you are replacing some of your wort.

I only brewed one Kolsch, and granted that was with a smack pack that i smacked about 8 hours prior to brewing, but it took off like 2 MFs. To date the only beer ive had which neede a blow off. That Kolsch yeast is some killer stuff.

I would just brew it with what you got. But then, I've never made a starter so i may not be your best advice.

by no means am I a pro... yet, but pitch it! No need for a starter, just bring to proper temp for 3-4 hours prior to pitching and you'll be find.

I did make a small starter with the DME. It made my OG a little low, but it worked. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the replies.

Congratulations!!! Next time you are at the LHBS buy a couple pounds of XLDME and keep it around for your starters. I was sketchy about my first starter, but I don't think I would brew without making one now, unless there is an emergency of some sort.

I just pitched my first vile of liquid yeast yesterday when making a Bavarian Weizen. I put it directly into the cooled wort. It's been about 15 hours and it's fermenting away just fine.

Back