Bulk Grain Advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
If you were going to purchase 3 - 50lb bags of grain what would you buy? I'm going to purchase grain in bulk for the first time and I need 3 that would work for several different styles. I know I want a bag of 2 row.
Also whats the difference between American and British 2 row?

If it were me I'd order 2row, Pilsner, and Wheat malt.

But you should consider what you brew the most and what are the common ingredients.

I'd get 1 Maris Otter, and 2 Pilsner.

Just because that's what I need now.

Depends on what you have brewed and are planning on brewing.

How you going to keep all of this dry ?
(if it gets damp or wet, it's shot)

I would get a Pilsner, Maris Otter and an American base malt 2-row (SRM 1.8 - 2.1). That should cover most of your base malt needs for many styles of beer.

Dr Malt:mug:

greenhornet said:
If it were me I'd order 2row, Pilsner, and Wheat malt.

But you should consider what you brew the most and what are the common ingredients.

I'd second that. That's what I have at home and I can get specialty grains anytime at the LHBS.

EdWort said:
I'd second that. That's what I have at home and I can get specialty grains anytime at the LHBS.
I third it. Motion granted!:D
I have two of those three at home and have thought about getting some Pilsner to round out my inventory.

Soon as my mill gets here that is going to be my goto stock, Pils American 2 row and Light Wheat.

buckeyebrewer said:
If you were going to purchase 3 - 50lb bags of grain what would you buy? I'm going to purchase grain in bulk for the first time and I need 3 that would work for several different styles. I know I want a bag of 2 row.
Also whats the difference between American and British 2 row?

Based on what you have listed as brewed it looks like you need both American and British 2 row and then either pilsner or wheat.

British 2 row is roasted a little darker then American and will provide a different flavour backbone then American

Yep, you need domestic 2-row, Maris Otter, and pilsner (if you brew lagers) or wheat (if you like wits, hefes, etc.).

British pale malts are kilned at a slightly warmer temperature, so they have more of a roasty, malty flavour. They also make beer that is a shade darker than domestic 2-row. They also have lower diastatic power than domestic 2-row, which might be a concern if you are mashing with adjuncts.

Thanks for the advise. I am calling my LBS tomorrow and ordering american 2 row, maris otter, and pilsner. Any other specialty grain can be picked up as needed. I've become comfortable enough with my all grain procedues that I think its time to start saving some big dollars$$$

Latest posts

Back