Batch sparging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmason1623

Reaction score
So I did my first AG this past Sunday. Everything seemed to go OK for my first time; my efficiency was at around 80%. I used beersmith's initial Mash in calculations/volume. When it was time to sparge, I added water at 175F and kept adding water (with a 10 minute rest) until i achieved my boil volume. I have read that some people do use this method. My question is: Is this the best/proper way? TIA

I collect about half of my boil volume from the initial mash and then add the amount of sparge water I need to get the rest of my boil volume. I add all this sparge water at once and let it rest for 10-15 min then collect it. You did good at 80%.

Yes, that's fine. Congrats on your first AG!

I only let it rest for a couple of minutes. Also, you might want to limit your sparges to 2 or 3 max. The mash pH rises with each sparge, and eventually will cause problems with tannin extraction, leading to astringency (bitterness).

what passedpawn said, I usually just collect my first runnings and then divide up what i need to achieve preboil volume between 2 batch sparges.

I am doing 10 gallon batches out of a 10 Gallon cooler MLT. I collect my first runnings and use 9 gallons to sparge. To do this, I get about 6 gallons of sparge water in the MLT and let it rest for 10 minutes. Then I vorlough a few qts and slowly add the remaining sparge water keeping the level above the grain bed as I sparge out until dry.

From what I understand, you don't necessarily have to let the sparge stand before you begin lautering.

I started off my first couple by letting it sit for 10 minutes while sparging, but then I realized you didn't have to and began running off immediately. My efficiency has been consistent and so has the taste.

But hey, do what you wanna do.

The main reason that I let it sit is that I stir the crap out of it when I add the first sparge water and want the grain bed to settle. Not sure why I go with 10 minutes exactly though.

Latest posts

Back