So, I can't measure grain apparently... *somewhat humorous story*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
So, last night I dig out some old ingredients (some extract, hops, grain) and formulate a recipe. Will be my first in over a year. I figure on partial mash to get my feet wet before getting back into my all grain setup. Extract > 1 year old should be fine, check, hops frozen and vac sealed, check, crushed grain 1 year old, maybe not so much.

So, I figured I'd make a pitstop at the LHBS today and get the ~3lb of grain I wanted for my mini-mash. 2lb vienna, 1/2lb crystal 20, few ounces of special roast.

Roll into this LHBS - its actually a new location - and it says help yourself to grain on a large sign. The other shop asked what you wanted, measured it, milled it, gave it to you in a paper bag. This one has the bags available, scale there, and mill waiting for your use. Pretty sweet... if you can measure. In my defense, I was in a rush b/c I was on lunch hour and starving.

So, I grab the pale, throw some vienna in it, measure it out. 2 "pounds" of vienna. Nice, easy, mill it. Throw 1/2lb of crystal 20 in the bucket .5 "pounds" of crystal, mill it. You get the point. For some reason, catching my eye as I got to turn the scale off, it reads "Kg". Wonderful... so I just milled 2 kilograms and 1/2 kilogram of crystal. But wait, it gets better. :confused:

What else did I not do? I didn't weigh the bucket before hand (empty) to know how much grain I actually got so I got somewhere < 2kg and somewhere less than 1/2 kg of grain. But wait, it gets better. :cross:

Ok, do some quick math in my head - 1lb = 2.2kg roughly - right? WRONG. 1kg = 2.2lb. So, oh, I didn't get enough. Sure looks like a lot, but hey the scale doesn't lie. Fill the bucket again, weigh about another 2.5kg of grain b/c at this point I thought I was only somewhere around 1 "pound" after my incorrect and whimsical conversion. Same with the crystal. :fro:

So, what it comes down to is I ended up with about 4.5-5kg of grain - aka about 11lb, confirmed by the scale, now appropriately set in pounds. LOL.

So, I am winging this mini-mash with about 2.5lb of grain off the top (where the crystal is laying on vienna) - assuming 1/2lb is crystal and 2lb is vienna, and I have about 8.5lb of vienna with some crystal mixed in leftover. Anyone know a good SMASH recipe using vienna and a single hop? I can lager too?

I guess too much grain - where there is enough for 2 batches, isn't a bad thing? :ban:

Man do I feel stupid. :drunk:

should have went ahead and brewed AG. You had enough grain :D

I didn't brew it yet, so thats a possibility. LOL...

Or I was going to stick with my PM recipe for pale ale (5.4% ABV, 33IBU), then do a light AG lager with the leftover vienna and a single hop to about 20IBU...

Didn't mess with my leftovers yet until I know exactly what I have left. At the point I made all the errors, I was seriously like "f&^% it, I'll figure it out when I get home and have my own scale that never sees Kg's" LOL

LOL nice story.. I would of texted google and tryed to figure the conversions that way since I'm not smart enought to just know it.

I went to brew my second batch last night and needed to weigh the honey and hops to seperate boil times. Went to turn on the weight watchers scale (don't comment on my scale LOL) and all it does is show LO, meaning low batteries.. crack it open and AAA's are needed and of course all I have are C's and AA's.. started getting frustrated and remembered what everyone says.. RELAX.. the store is close but it was allready 10pm and I was in my shorts (not underwear;) ) and didn't really want to drive anywhere.

so I just winged it. I had 3lbs of honey but only wanted to use 2lbs.. so I kinda eyeballed it and said it was good. seperated the hops in the same manner. 2oz bag... needed 1oz at 30, .5oz at 10 and the rest (.5oz) at 5 minutes.
I feel confedent that the beer will be good since I have no idea what it's suppose to taste like anyway. :D
to bad you dont' live near me I could of taken some of the grain off your hands for my mystery brew. lol

LOL nice story.. I would of texted google and tryed to figure the conversions that way since I'm not smart enought to just know it.

I went to brew my second batch last night and needed to weigh the honey and hops to seperate boil times. Went to turn on the weight watchers scale (don't comment on my scale LOL) and all it does is show LO, meaning low batteries.. crack it open and AAA's are needed and of course all I have are C's and AA's.. started getting frustrated and remembered what everyone says.. RELAX.. the store is close but it was allready 10pm and I was in my shorts (not underwear;) ) and didn't really want to drive anywhere.

so I just winged it. I had 3lbs of honey but only wanted to use 2lbs.. so I kinda eyeballed it and said it was good. seperated the hops in the same manner. 2oz bag... needed 1oz at 30, .5oz at 10 and the rest (.5oz) at 5 minutes.
I feel confedent that the beer will be good since I have no idea what it's suppose to taste like anyway. :D
to bad you dont' live near me I could of taken some of the grain off your hands for my mystery brew. lol

I had the conversion pretty much nailed - just completely backwards. LOL.

It sounds like a reasonable way to "eyeball measure" something like you did though. I am sure it will turn out great!!

I eyeball measured my grain as "wayyy too much" at the store also, but for some reason my brain wouldn't let my common sense overcome what the scale was showing me (or what i thought it was showing me). I mean just the night before I had a 2lb bag of vienna (2 years old) that I pitched so I knew about how much I needed and should have known I had plenty (or way too much) after the first 2kg of vienna.

So, last night I dig out some old ingredients (some extract, hops, grain) and formulate a recipe. Will be my first in over a year. I figure on partial mash to get my feet wet before getting back into my all grain setup. Extract > 1 year old should be fine, check, hops frozen and vac sealed, check, crushed grain 1 year old, maybe not so much.

So, I figured I'd make a pitstop at the LHBS today and get the ~3lb of grain I wanted for my mini-mash. 2lb vienna, 1/2lb crystal 20, few ounces of special roast.

Roll into this LHBS - its actually a new location - and it says help yourself to grain on a large sign. The other shop asked what you wanted, measured it, milled it, gave it to you in a paper bag. This one has the bags available, scale there, and mill waiting for your use. Pretty sweet... if you can measure. In my defense, I was in a rush b/c I was on lunch hour and starving.

So, I grab the pale, throw some vienna in it, measure it out. 2 "pounds" of vienna. Nice, easy, mill it. Throw 1/2lb of crystal 20 in the bucket .5 "pounds" of crystal, mill it. You get the point. For some reason, catching my eye as I got to turn the scale off, it reads "Kg". Wonderful... so I just milled 2 kilograms and 1/2 kilogram of crystal. But wait, it gets better. :confused:

What else did I not do? I didn't weigh the bucket before hand (empty) to know how much grain I actually got so I got somewhere < 2kg and somewhere less than 1/2 kg of grain. But wait, it gets better. :cross:

Ok, do some quick math in my head - 1lb = 2.2kg roughly - right? WRONG. 1kg = 2.2lb. So, oh, I didn't get enough. Sure looks like a lot, but hey the scale doesn't lie. Fill the bucket again, weigh about another 2.5kg of grain b/c at this point I thought I was only somewhere around 1 "pound" after my incorrect and whimsical conversion. Same with the crystal. :fro:

So, what it comes down to is I ended up with about 4.5-5kg of grain - aka about 11lb, confirmed by the scale, now appropriately set in pounds. LOL.

So, I am winging this mini-mash with about 2.5lb of grain off the top (where the crystal is laying on vienna) - assuming 1/2lb is crystal and 2lb is vienna, and I have about 8.5lb of vienna with some crystal mixed in leftover. Anyone know a good SMASH recipe using vienna and a single hop? I can lager too?

I guess too much grain - where there is enough for 2 batches, isn't a bad thing? :ban:

Man do I feel stupid. :drunk:

I usually smash Vienna with Saaz. If you're doing Vienna as the whole grain bill, I'd advise mashing low like 150F. There will still be plenty of Vienna flavor. If you want to do a proper lager, use a German or Czech lager yeast. When I'm in a hurry, I just use some steam yeast.

I usually smash Vienna with Saaz. If you're doing Vienna as the whole grain bill, I'd advise mashing low like 150F. There will still be plenty of Vienna flavor. If you want to do a proper lager, use a German or Czech lager yeast. When I'm in a hurry, I just use some steam yeast.

Thanks for the tips!! I'll have to get some Saaz since I have none, but that should work... I have some dry lager yeast laying around I know, so I was just going to use that, but I might spring for liquid too.

Ummm... The proportions should still be the same, as long as you weighed out the same amounts each time (2kg of vienna; 1/2 kg crystal).

Just mix it all up and measure out 2.5 pounds. You will have 2 lb of vienna and 1/2 lb of crystal.

-Steve

Ummm... The proportions should still be the same, as long as you weighed out the same amounts each time (2kg of vienna; 1/2 kg crystal).
-Steve

Not if he didn't tare the scale.

IF he didn't tare the scale for the bucket, he lost the bucket's weight in vienna, but nothing in crystal.

That's pretty funny. I've had those days, as I'm sure we all have, when things just don't go quite right, no matter how hard you try. That's when I just step away for a while and come back to it later.

Back