In Search Good Simple IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigHops

Reaction score
Well, to to begin I brew Partial Mash, because well I'm still learning..and have gotten decent results..The problem I'm having is like others are saying w/ pm and extract recipes color is not to be expected..they tend to be on the darker side. Now my main focus is getting a nice light amber color and mouth feel in a partial mash...can anyone offer a tried and true pm base recipe that will give my a nice light amber color IPA.

This is what I have in stock now...Primary is open! Willing to substitue and purchase as needed...

3.3 Coopers extract amber malt syrup
2lbs light DME
1lb pale 2-row
2 oz Sterling
2 oz Hallertau
1 oz Kent Golding pellets
1 pk windsor yeast

I have a couple of extract brewing books...but it's just not getting the job done way too dark...anyone feel free to offer any advice or recipes...I'm thinking to start the 3.3 Coopers amber syrup needs to go...

Bighops

The best way I have found to lighten the color when using extracts is to add the bulk of the extract during the last 15 minutes of the boil. If you boil the extract for a full hour it tends to darken as you boil, especially if you are boiling less than 5 gallons.

Try adding 1 # of extract at the beginning of the boil to get your hops to bitter properly. Add the rest of the extract with only 10-15 minutes left.

I had the same problem until I started late extract additions.

I did a late extract the last time around and I think it made a huge difference. I used a lot more extract than I did the first time around and yet it seems lighter in color. It's still in primary so it's hard to tell, but that's certainly how it seems to me.

When I was a extract brewer I found that using LME always left me with a darker beer after the 60 minute boil. I started to use exclusively DME and just suffered with the slightly higher costs. you could try this:

6lbs light / ultra light DME
1lb pale 2-row
.50 lb Cara Pils
.15 Lb crystal 60 - 120 (depending how dark you want it)
2 oz Sterling
2 oz Hallertau
1 oz Kent Golding pellets
1 pk windsor yeast

so I guess....

+1 for caraPils

Thanks guys...I will try a batch and add the extract more towards the end..and the caraPils was a good tip, I forgot that it doesn't change color..and adds body etc. also does anyone have a hop guide that will show what hops are traditionally blended together in a an IPA or Amber beers i.e. Bittering, flavor, aroma..Or is it basically a free for all?..hehe

bighops

What kind of IPA? American or English? The appropriate hops depends utterly on that.

If American, any of the "C" hops (if you can find them). If English, Fuggles, East Kent Goldings, Bramling Cross, WGV, etc.

Cheers,

Bob

Ok what about willamette or nugget, sunbeam, Zues..not sure how these would place in traditional IPA's...personally I like both the styles..cascade for me is harder to find these days..Is there a chart for determining the correct hop pairing for styles or no, is this something just learned over time.

bighops

I just used Willamette in my last big IPA, but it's still in primary so I don't know how it tastes. I gotta say, though, it smells HEAVENLY....

(Bittering hops were Columbus [12.2%]; Willamette was used for flavor and dry hop. Cascade was used for aroma.)

Back