Cheap Buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanBrew

Reaction score
I just thought I would share a nice find. I have a salt water tank and remembered seeing the buckets that the salt comes in for sale at one of the aquarium stores. I recently went in to get water flipped one over and found that the buckets are food grade. They sell the 5 gal for $1.99 with lid. There are also some 6 1/2 gal. also. I doubt the salt would scratch the inside surface so it should be fine to ferment in, but if not it will be good to have for bottling. I like running 2 1/2 gal batches so these will work perfect for me.

Sweet! probably be good for bottling or a cheap secondary, but a primary should be about 7 gals due to all the krausen you'll get during primary fermentation. Kinda surprised those are food grade though! I was bummed, my dad used to own a restaurant, so he had all kinds of food grade buckets laying around at the store. He sold the store about a month before I started brewing... woulda saved me A LOT of money on fermenters!

Link? Use your yellow pages and search for salt water fish, I have dozens and dozens of these from my own tanks over the years. Most decent sized reef stores will blow through 20 or 30 buckets a month... find the right one and they will be happy to give them to you so they don't end up filling their dumpsters.

I get 5 gallon buckets from work, since that's how our corn syrup comes. The lids are great, they have a hole in the top that fits a #8 stopper.

I got some 5 gal buckets from the local Wal Mart from the bakery dept, with lids, for free. I am using them to store grain in, but I wouldn't hesitate to ferment 3 1/2 gal or so batches in them.

Latest posts

Back