Where to get wort oxygenator online right now ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eimar

Brasserie Montfort No NEIPA brewed here
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new here ( but I've been homebrewing for at least 15 years.
I realised that my main problem is diacetyl, so I decided to purchase a wort oxygenator online ( oxynater etc.. ). I checked at least 5 suppliers in the U.S. and they all out of mention that the item is out of stock.
Could someone please tell me if there are any online suppliers that have the item available right now ?

Jacques

Thank you weirdboy for taking some of your valuable time to reply ( and to reply fast :) )
I'm looking for aerating the wort with pure oxygen but if I don't find any supplier I'll go the aquarium pump way.
It looks like what is in short supply is the oxygen regulator and not the oxygen stone.

Jacques

Thank you inspector13 and passedpawn for taking some of your valuable time for that prompt reply.

passedpawn: Do you connect the aquarium tubing directly to the oxygen tank ? Isn't the regulator required to lower the high pressure of the oxygen getting out of the tank ?

inspector13: thanks for the link to Austin Homebrew supply. The link is for the aquarium pump but while browsing their catalog I found the page for the "oxygenation kit " ( that's exactly what I'm looking for )
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_352&products_id=2437

And on that page they mention "This product will be in stock on Wednesday 14 October, 2009.".
Great new.

Lowe's used to carry a Oxygen/Mapp gas welding kit for about 30 bucks. The kit had a bottle of Oxygen, a bottle of MAPP gas, a regulator, and a hand held torch. I bought two and I use the oxygen tank and slide a 1/4' Tubing over the torch nozzle. The tubing terminates at a aquarium type stone that fits onto 1/4" tubing.

I think most of the big box stores have these kits. Just FYI, the oxygen regulator has a left hand thread, so you pretty much need to buy the regulator for oxygen.

Mine works great, I've used it on the last five or six batches. Good Luck.

Thanks a lot for trying to help pdbreen.

Unfortunately on the shipping info webpage it says:

Northern Brewer does not ship internationally.

Jacques

Lowe's used to carry a Oxygen/Mapp gas welding kit for about 30 bucks. The kit had a bottle of Oxygen, a bottle of MAPP gas, a regulator, and a hand held torch. I bought two and I use the oxygen tank and slide a 1/4' Tubing over the torch nozzle. The tubing terminates at a aquarium type stone that fits onto 1/4" tubing.

I think most of the big box stores have these kits. Just FYI, the oxygen regulator has a left hand thread, so you pretty much need to buy the regulator for oxygen.

Mine works great, I've used it on the last five or six batches. Good Luck.

That pretty much covers it. The tubing will NOT connect directly to the tank; you must get a kit as described above. Its obvious once you get that. No regulator... the kit will come with a little needle valve that screws onto the tank. This little valve has a brass barb onto which you can slide your tubing.

You are in Montreal... most hardware stores will have one of these kits. And an aquarium store will have the rest.

Thank you Yuri_Rage for the link to midwestsupplies.com.
I'm waiting for some reply to my e-mail asking if they have the oxygenator in stock.
And I already ordered it from mountainhomebrew ( but I still don't know if they have it in stock ).
passedpawn, thanks for posting additional information about the oxygen/mapp cutting torch kit.

WenValley, I apology because I missed your reply suggesting to purchase the above mentioned cutting torch kit. Does the following link illustrate the kind of kit you purchased ?
http://bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/KITS/TORCHKITS/tabid/215/ctl/Detail/mid/1147/xmid/6954/xmfid/3/Default.aspx
It is available at the "Canadian Tire " stores.

My 1st choice is to purchase the "Oxynater" kit because it includes the air stone but if it's unavailable I now have the other option of going the oxygen/mapp cutting kit.

Jacques

Yepper Jacques:

I can't compare the "pet store" aquarium stone to a 5 micron, high speed stone. But mine puts out a ton of tiny bubbles and seems to get the job done. Plus, mine came in a five pack, so I use one two or three times and then break out a fresh one.

No fussing with refilling a tank, the empty ones are disposable. Good Luck...

Thank you Yuri_Rage for the link to midwestsupplies.com.
I'm waiting for some reply to my e-mail asking if they have the oxygenator in stock.
And I already ordered it from mountainhomebrew ( but I still don't know if they have it in stock ).
passedpawn, thanks for posting additional information about the oxygen/mapp cutting torch kit.

WenValley, I apology because I missed your reply suggesting to purchase the above mentioned cutting torch kit. Does the following link illustrate the kind of kit you purchased ?
http://bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/KITS/TORCHKITS/tabid/215/ctl/Detail/mid/1147/xmid/6954/xmfid/3/Default.aspx
It is available at the "Canadian Tire " stores.

My 1st choice is to purchase the "Oxynater" kit because it includes the air stone but if it's unavailable I now have the other option of going the oxygen/mapp cutting kit.

Jacques

That is the one but they are close to $60 at Home Depot here in the US. I am still getting that setup as I already have everything else and I'm sure I can put that torch to good use

I think I have five or six batches on this bottle so far. No way to tell how full they are as the oxygen isn't liquid like propane. It's just compressed. I don't know how many cubic feet of gas are packed into each bottle, but not too many I suspect.

I run the O2 for two minutes per carboy. I'm sure that the bigger tanks are a much better value per liter of O2, but for what I need, this works.

I use a two inch piece of copper tubing that's attached to the airstone to get it it sink to the bottom of the carboy. When done, the hose, tubing, and airstone goes into the Starsan.

Good Luck.

Thank's WenValley, mgo737, Chester for taking some of your valuable time to reply and to supply additional information.

mgo737: yes the williamsbrewing oxygenator looks great. I like the way the airstone is mounted on a piece of stainless steel tube.
Unfortunately they don't ship to Canada.

Chester: Of course you can put that cutting torch to good use, how about using it to cut a hole in the safe door of your local bank.

Good question AstroBrew.

From what I see, it looks like most of the stores will have the oxygenator by the end of this week, so I'll wait a few days before going the oxygen/mapp cutting kit way.

Jacques

Back