starting to do partial mash's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
So now I've built a 5 gallon mash tun from a Rubbermaid cooler. I know I can't do AG at this size, in particular cuz I can't boil that much liquid in a single vessle (yet)...instead doing two smaller pots, and combining at the end of the boil.

So, what's the total grain bill I should NOT exceed, to get as good a mash as I can get?

using a braided SS hose for the manifold, rather than a false bottom.

I'm trying to get a good handle on this 'intermediate' brewing step, before my next batch on July 30th.

Hey Malkore -- how big are your pots? There is no reason why you can't do both AG and PM brews with that MLT. The 5 gal coolers will hold about 12 - 13 lbs of grain in a mash, which is enough to brew beers up to about 1.065 gravity (so most styles).

Can you split your boil? I have done it in two 5 gal pots before with no problem (it is just a bit more work). Alternatively, that MLT is a nice size to do smaller batches, say in the 3 gal range. They are a lot of fun, too, and I bet you could do almost any type of beer at 3 gals, regardless of the SG.

As far as PMs go, you should be able to do almost anything now, especially if you do a late addition of your extract. But the more wort you can fully boil, the better. Give us a better idea of your system (i.e., pot sizes, stove capacity, etc.) and we can try to provide some more precise advice.

Cheers! :mug:

How big is your kettle? 1.5 pounds per gallon of boil capacity is a good place to start. Most PM recipes fall into the 3.5-4.5 pound range.

5 gallon MLT is more than enough for partial mashes. I think that in order to build a quality grainbed on the bottom of the tun that you're going to need to probably mash minimum of 8lbs of grains, which is a good size. I only got a 3gal MLT and I can't seem to fit more than about 5lbs of grains in there, which is good for most PM recipes, but Im kinda thinking I should have gone 5gal. if you're sticking with PM, 5gal is more than enough.

basically the problem is my stove. its a really nice ceramic top....so nice that it has temperature sensors built into the cooktop that prevent it from over-heating past the element.
It took me 90 minutes to get 3gallons of water in a typical 5 gallon SS pot to just 170F. And that was the upper limit :*( the diameter is too wide for the cooking surface so the element runs for about 6 seconds, then shuts off for a minute.

So, I use two 12qt pots for my boil, usually putting in about 2.25gal water into each, splitting all my hops and DME/LME right in half. With evaporation, I end up needing barely 1 gallon of boiled/cooled water in the bucket to hit 5 gallons.

I do entertain the idea of a propane burner setup for outdoor brewing this fall, and to do full boils during the cooler months. Sadly no garage or covered patio for a lot of outdoor brewing until we decide to sell this starter home.

My goal is to get as much gravity from PM as I can, and then do late extract addition of DME or LME, like in the last 10 minutes just so it gets sterilized by the boil.

Back