Brewing in MD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. My name is Guy and I am brewing in Frederick MD. I started brewing 6 years ago, but had a long break due to family and finishing up my PhD. Started again last year with a nice American Pale Ale, and right now I have a Dry Irish Stout in primary. This will also be my first beer in a corny keg which I am super excited about (No More Bottles, Woohoo). I got started brewing because I was a yeast biologist during my degree, so it was only natural that I took my work home and brewed some beer! Love the site by the way. Cheers!

Welcome, Guy. I once hailed from MD (Ft. Meade) but I am on the island of Oahu right now. Should be back in a couple of years. You studied yeast biology? Awesome! THat should give you a one up on the edge here.

Hmmm, I'll trade you MD for Oahu any time! I'm originally from South Africa, and studied in Arizona, so warm weather is more my style.

I lived in Manchester, Carroll County and before that in Ellicott City. You have good water in Frederick, make some fine brews

How's the home brew store in Frederick? I just looked it up and it's only 30 minutes from me.

Cheers from Gaithersburg!

In response to the last post, I checked out The Flying Barrel last summer when I was dropping off my entries for the Montgomery County Fair. Honestly, I was happy to see such an establishment, but I wasn't too impressed. Seems like they're a generation behind the online suppliers.

Hi Guy...

The Flying Barrell gets the job done...they have most everything you need. Online suppliers serve their purpose and the Local guys serve their own purpose. They are super helpful and very knowledgeable. Good luck on the kegging!

S-

I have gotten a lot of equipment from The Flying Barrel since starting brewing again and have been very happy with them so far. They saved me today because I was ready to rack to my corny keg for the first time last night only to find that the dip tube gasket had NOT been replaced by the online vendor as promised. I need to transfer now in order for it to be ready for family visiting soon. A quick trip to the Flying Barrel and I had two new o-rings for a grand total if 70c. I have always found them to be friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Off to rack my Irish stout to my corny. Happy brewing!

Welcome from Pasadena Maryland. I wish I had your water, PH (5.4) is great down here but to much iron and radium.

Back