Flip Top Bottle Carbonation Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryodom

Reaction score
I've got 24 1 liter flip top bottles. For bottling I do a standard issue process I found in the "How To Brew" book. 2/3 cup of cane sugar boiled with 2 cups of water, cooled and then poured in the bottom of the bottling bucket. I siphon the beer in to the bucket and give it a gentle stir to be sure it mixes. I bottle them all with really close to the same amount of beer. Up to the narrow part of the neck. I'm careful to center the caps.

My problem is that some are very carbonated, some are well carbonated, less carbonated and some like there is little or no carbonation.

Is there anything I could be missing about these bottles? I've used the 1/2 liter flip top bottles with no issues and kegged with no issues.

seals.jpg

I've been having issues with carbonation on 1l flip tops as well. About to try some from one stored on it's side instead of upright. I'll report back shortly

Stored on the side seems to work on mine. Thank you for giving me an excuse to pop one and check!

I have a theory that might be more conspiracy than anything else.

The bottles I opened after 2 weeks of carbonation were very carbonated. After 3-4 weeks less carbonated and now at 6+ weeks it seems like little to no carbonation. I wonder if it could be leaking past the gaskets over time? The tops seem to be on there very tight and there's a good indention on the gasket when the tops are opeend.

I have a theory that might be more conspiracy than anything else.

The bottles I opened after 2 weeks of carbonation were very carbonated. After 3-4 weeks less carbonated and now at 6+ weeks it seems like little to no carbonation. I wonder if it could be leaking past the gaskets over time? The tops seem to be on there very tight and there's a good indention on the gasket when the tops are opeend.

Are they older gaskets, or brand new? One thing I've tried is buying new gaskets, and then turning them over so they are extremely tight.

The gaskets are new. This is the second time I used the gaskets. The first time there were some bottles that didn't carbonate well and I thought I'd traced that to not filling the bottles equally and leaving too much space in some. However this time I was more careful and still got varying results.

I might try reversing/replacing the gaskets on this Helles I have finishing up.

Should the gaskets be completely dry, damp or does it even matter when you seal the bottles?

I'm gonna go out on a longshot and guess that the sugar wasn't mixed evenly, and by coincidence, the bottles opened first had the most sugar.

You could soak the rest in sanitizer, recombine it, another splash of sugar, and mix it well... then rebottle?

Yeah I gave up and went kegging 100% of the time. I'll probably get with the local home brewing club when I have time and find someone who can show me in person what I'm doing wrong. Almost certain it's probably something small and silly I'm missing.

I am having the same issue. I used these bottles for the first time. I had enough left over for one regular 12oz cappable bottle. I let them sit for 14 days. The cap bottle was great the flip top bottle was dead flat. I wouldnt be so concerned if there was a little carbonation. I may un cap them all and to try to reseal, should I add a little priming sugar in the process or go buy a case of budweiser and beer bong it?

Back