The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mountain lion?
LOL - No! Ground Beast is made from the same meat the from The Grinch's Town of Whoville where they serve roast beast for Christmas. It's very lean with a little bit of green gamey essence.

Like green eggs and ham.

Last edited:
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_20180418_201512.jpg

Tried my usual pizza dough recipe with some 6-grain flour my wife bought recently in place of whole wheat, along with a pinch of spent grain "flour". Turned out pretty good. I should have cut up the canadian bacon a little, you can see that the cheese around them didn't get the nice color I was after.

Agreed this thread is so awesome and i have learned so much.

I finally got some nine inch round pans and a jelly-roll pan. And my mind is kind of going wild with ideas. Pizza ideas.

I grew up eating Sicilian pizza so I have to try that in the jelly-roll pan. My plan is to flash bake the dough, then top. As a side note last night, I spread the dough on the pan with canola pam and veg. oil. I might try this instead of flour rolling out dough, because it took 5 seconds literally to spread, will add much needed oil, and will retain moisture of dough.

Another idea is to maybe spread the dough in 9 in pan and flash bake and make deep dish, like jwin.

Another idea is to form pie in pan quickly and easily and flip out on baking sheet.

Another idea is to flash bake and then flip out of pan.

Last make a chicago style stuffed pie like above. These are my pizza ambitions now, more to come i hope

I tried it and while i think i got the steel closer to the eye in the sky, the top didnt cook. People use cans and things to help elevate the pie to help with this. Note that grill sucked. Maybe should retry with weber. Its on this thread somewhere, wish i knew how to find it. There are some workarounds. The blackstone is the way to go or a pizza oven or something like that.

I do and have made plenty of pizza on the grill and camping fire. Camping pizza has become a thing for my wife and i and considering we are both native coloradans that is saying something. For grilled pizza, not with stone, put pizza dough on. Then flip and top on the grill the flash baked side. Not to loaded and enjoy. I like that kind of pizza. Hope someone can shed more light than me but that was my experience.

Edit, if you have a kamado and or a really nice grill then perhaps the air temp vs floor temp issue could be fixed.

I’m having the hardest time rolling out dough and getting it to a good 12-14” round. Any tips?

Agreed this thread is so awesome and i have learned so much.

I finally got some nine inch round pans and a jelly-roll pan. And my mind is kind of going wild with ideas. Pizza ideas.

I grew up eating Sicilian pizza so I have to try that in the jelly-roll pan. My plan is to flash bake the dough, then top. As a side note last night, I spread the dough on the pan with canola pam and veg. oil. I might try this instead of flour rolling out dough, because it took 5 seconds literally to spread, will add much needed oil, and will retain moisture of dough.

Another idea is to maybe spread the dough in 9 in pan and flash bake and make deep dish, like jwin.

Another idea is to form pie in pan quickly and easily and flip out on baking sheet.

Another idea is to flash bake and then flip out of pan.

Last make a chicago style stuffed pie like above. These are my pizza ambitions now, more to come i hope
I do a deep dish often in a 9" round. Pour in like 3 or 4 tbs of oil. Roll out dough and cover in pan. Let proof for a while. Par bake. Sauce and top. Bake. I usually make a thicker sauce for thicker pizza. I top to the edge of the pan. That crisp stuff around the edge is the best! The family loves it.

I’m having the hardest time rolling out dough and getting it to a good 12-14” round. Any tips?
What is your process now? My first guess with limited information is to let it rest at room temp for a while before shaping it, and don't work it too much. If it's springing back on you, it needs to rest.

It's great for entertaining, also I've cooked slow roasted lamb, chicken kebabs and some salmon in it. they are pretty versatile, even a small one like the one I have. I'm still learning how to use it properly, fire management especially with a small oven can be quite tricky

Tried the deep dish, but not really. Thinner dough spread with oil. Wanted to proof and par bake, but hungry kids changed that. Spread in pan, topped, baked in not very long preheated oven at 500. At some point swmbo threw them on the steel. They looked good, but a little over done. Threw it back on steel and voilla. It was really good but too dark.
20180421_125818.jpg
20180421_125827.jpg
20180421_130251.jpg
20180421_130612.jpg
20180421_130650.jpg

What is your process now? My first guess with limited information is to let it rest at room temp for a while before shaping it, and don't work it too much. If it's springing back on you, it needs to rest.

That’s exactly what’s happening. I try stretching it out on the counter, but it springs back. So I pick it up and and start to turn it by the edges while letting it hang the stretch. It kind of works but of course never comes out round. More rectangle than anything else

That’s exactly what’s happening. I try stretching it out on the counter, but it springs back. So I pick it up and and start to turn it by the edges while letting it hang the stretch. It kind of works but of course never comes out round. More rectangle than anything else

My goal is always to shape it with as little fondling as possible. Here is a good video of Jim Lahey shaping dough that is a good reference.

Jim Lahey's No Knead Pizza recipe

Patience. If it gets too springy just cover it and wait 5 minutes, then try again.

I usually combat the problem by turning the ball into a 6” disk when it comes out of the fridge. An hour later it’s relaxed, risen slightly more and ready to go. Can be hard to do it all in one shot

First use half sheet pan za. Super wet dough, thrown on jroll pan with light pam and evoo. Spread out still cold, (not well, uneven). Par baked, didnt know how long so by feel did 10 minutes. Needed longer based on thickness. It had mountains and valleys and didnt snap pic of it or maybe. Got sauce on it, mozzarella, pepperoni, and red pepper on one side. At end put on sharp cheddar and american. Used new bread knife to show real cross section of thick part. Wife ate thinner pieces. Really good.
20180425_173410.jpg
20180425_174914.jpg
20180425_181436.jpg
20180425_182827.jpg
20180425_182843.jpg
20180425_182854.jpg
20180425_182854.jpg

Patience. If it gets too springy just cover it and wait 5 minutes, then try again.

I usually combat the problem by turning the ball into a 6” disk when it comes out of the fridge. An hour later it’s relaxed, risen slightly more and ready to go. Can be hard to do it all in one shot

I'll try it out this weekend!

Tried the oil technique on parchment. Dipped gloved fingers in oil and was able to spread the dough out really well and easily. I think i need to par bake them a little, but the oil made them chewier, and softer i think. Also i need to try starting on steel then taking off and finishing on steel. These were cooked on steel the whole time.
20180506_124535.jpg
20180506_123650.jpg
20180506_123236.jpg
20180506_122639.jpg
20180506_120800.jpg
20180506_120749.jpg

Been using a little uuni oven. I liittle tough to keep it consistent, but I can knock out some decent pies periodically
IMG_20180327_183849.jpg
IMG_20180116_181308.jpg

First use half sheet pan za. Super wet dough, thrown on jroll pan with light pam and evoo. Spread out still cold, (not well, uneven). Par baked, didnt know how long so by feel did 10 minutes. Needed longer based on thickness. It had mountains and valleys and didnt snap pic of it or maybe. Got sauce on it, mozzarella, pepperoni, and red pepper on one side. At end put on sharp cheddar and american. Used new bread knife to show real cross section of thick part. Wife ate thinner pieces. Really good.

KOTC would say, "Too bready!" I would say, "Please pass me another piece - or two - of that pie!"

Wednesday night cheese pizza! 12 inch personal size, 48hr dough, store-bought sauce, and whole milk mozzarella. Getting better at shaping the dough finally, but still leave a bit too much cornicione for my liking.

20180509_193141.jpg
20180509_193136.jpg

Tried the oil technique on parchment. Dipped gloved fingers in oil and was able to spread the dough out really well and easily. I think i need to par bake them a little, but the oil made them chewier, and softer i think. Also i need to try starting on steel then taking off and finishing on steel. These were cooked on steel the whole time.View attachment 569112View attachment 569113View attachment 569114View attachment 569115View attachment 569116View attachment 569117
Those some big slices of peperoni.

Shane, wow, love that crust. Thats Colorado style.

Ok im ashamed.

Thanks, man! I'm very happy with it.. has a great texture!

Also, no shame. I came here to post some love for my late night post-rum drinking naan flatbread. This and Fellowship of the Ring is how I end a night out!

20180511_232728.jpg

Last edited:
Just noticed this thread with a gazzilon posts.
I'm planning an RV trip with homemade pizza in the picture.
Are y'all purists with all scratch ingredients?
Or can you suggest recommendations for store bought crust, sauce, etc. ?
I hope I'm not asking Anthony Bourdain for a hamburger recipe......

Soooo I have cheated with Wegmans dough and pasta sauce... Honestly any pasta sauce works well

Not sure where you are located and what commercial dough you have

I like dough from whole foods and trader joes.

Back