Weird spots in beer head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc-ferg

Reaction score
Get these dark spots in my beer head that are formed by the bubbles. But the way it looks makes me think something is wrong?

I'd also like to add that the beer keeps a thin head. Did my beer get infected or is this normal

the quality and retention of the head varies by recipe. It's doubtful that your beer is infected.

What sort of dark spot? Could it just be hop debris? a bunch of bubbles that popped in one area?

The beer tastes good the spots just look weird. Almost like spotty mold on cheese.

Post a picture.

(my guess is still that it is just hop debris or other sediment floating on and then breaking down the head)

Is the beer overcarbed? If so its probably yeast getting sucked up from the bottom of the bottle when you open it.

Is the beer overcarbed? If so its probably yeast getting sucked up from the bottom of the bottle when you open it.

This is very possible. It happens in my beers with a yeast that hasn't dropped and compacted well, or hasn't had enough time to. It can produce some small brown spots on top of the head.

It's normal, have this all the time if I'm picturing what you're talking about correctly. Just the head particles sort of glom together and it looks like as you said, mold on cheese. It's just the way the proteins flow, nothing to be concerned about.

Back