Goes fermentation slower and slower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerFun

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers!

Trying to figure out when the fermentation will be finished.

Brewing 5.2 gallons of apple juice. Started 5 days ago and the SG was 1.015 today. Started with an OG between 1.040 and 1.050 I guess.

Will the SG be 1.005 in two days?

Will the SG be 1.005 in two days?

Maybe. Maybe lower. It depends on the temperature, the amount of yeast pitched, the health of the yeast, the strain of the yeast, etc. I've had wines go from 1.100 to .990 in 5 days, and others take three weeks. Yeast are living organisms, and take as long as they take. Usually, primary is done in 5-7 days, though.

Thank you for your reply. Looking forward to some apple cider! :)

After 7 days the SG was 1.012, seems the yeast has a hard time at the end.

Leave it alone for a couple days. Tomorrow check the gravity again. Then the following day check again. If the reading stays put for a few days in a row, its probably done. But, several things could affect the fermentation such as temperature and the strain of yeast. You also stated that you "guess" your OG was between 1.040 and 1.050. If you didn't check and it really was 1.060, then your strain of yeast might not be able to get down to 1.005.

As the alcohol content increases and the sugar content drops, the yeast have to work harder. Some of them just quit. I've had ferments go 3/4s of the way, stall, then restart a week later.

Back