What do you suppose this will finish at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpz28

Reaction score
This is a 6 gallon batch, and I'm pitching onto a cake of 1056. So, what do you think my finishing gravity will be based on experiences/whatever?

16.25#'s 2 row
1.00# Wheat
1.00# Aromatic

Original Gravity= 84

Mash: 149 for 60-75 minutes

Thanks,

Adam

Lemme clarify. Each yeast ferments to a specific attenuation (percentage of sugars fermented). Warmer fermentations will usually finish higher in the attenuation range and would result in lower final gravity. Higher pitching rates will give a higher attenuation as well. Pitching on a yeast cake with no temp control I would expect you yeast to ferment at their highest possible rate.

Google the yeast strain and check the manufacturers web site to see the attenuation range Google a brewing calculator that estimates final gravity. Enter the og and higher end of the attenuation percentage and it will estimate your FG.

To predict final gravity, it's really easy. Grab a crystal ball, and peer into it to access the wisdom of divination.

No seriously... predicting fg is impossible. There are too many variables at hand. However, I can say at least this from my personal experience. Given that your grain bill doesn't contain any dextrin rich malts, that you're mashing at 149 (a somewhat low temp) and that you're using California ale yeast (a yeast with good attenuation characteristics), you should get very good attenuation. I'd ballpark it around 80-85% if you get a good starter going. Given those numbers, you're looking at FG between 1.012 and 1.017. But at best, I'd call that an educated guess.

Latest posts

Back