IPA=blah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love IPAs, but the same old c-hop, citrusy American IPA does get old, considering that there are 9,000 on the shelf, and I've brewed a few myself. Why not try what I'm going to - brew an IPA with non-traditional hops. I'm going to do a noble hopped IPA - there are exactly zero of those available commercially, as far as I know.
But, hey, if you just don't like hoppy beers period, skip the IPAs. I could do without any beer to which the word Belgian could be attached, so my simple solution is to let people who drink that kind of beer brew and buy it.

I understand where you are coming from. By far, my favorite style is an IPA/ double IPA/ imperial IPA, see where I'm going here? But, I do tend to find the same old grapefruit citrus c-hop flavor and aroma becomes mundane after awhile. I really like your idea of doing an IPA with noble hops, please let us know when you start, recipe, etc...

.woops wrong thread. But try a SN Ruthless Rye ipa asap.and see what happens.

I just had a SA White Water IPA, and I thought it was a really nice IPA, not too bitter at all and the aroma for me was great and I'd keep it around as an affordable decent IPA, not at all like the one I got from a local brewery but nice in that I could see drinking several of them vs. drinking only 1-2 of something around 130IBU's. I do think IPA's have been on trend, specifically with a boat load of IBU and aroma.

I still think the uninitiated are mistaking the stronger citrus/herby/spiciness of the late hop additions for bitterness. Even in food,herbs,spice,& citrus can give much the same effect. I had some spaghetti sauce last night that tasted much like the hops I was smelling in the room. IPASKETTI!! yahoooo!

tCan
I bet you'll come to love IPAs sometime in the future. Most craft beer lovers/homebrewers do eventually. IPA is my favorite style, followed by APAs. Now most ambers and brown ales bore me for lack of hops. I don't like Belgians at all but I'm working on it slowly. Im currently drinking my latest IPA brewed with all US Northern Brewer hops. It's quite different from most because it lacks the citrus flavors but is still floral. I think you would like it.

hahahaha They all sing they same tune until they have a Lupilin Shift.

OK, so consider me an IPA virgin because I really havent found one that I like yet. I havent tried many, but what I have had has tasted bitter. Any recommendations for a "starter" pale ale or IPA? Not too hopped, but more hop profile than my normal stouts and ales?

OK, so consider me an IPA virgin because I really havent found one that I like yet. I havent tried many, but what I have had has tasted bitter. Any recommendations for a "starter" pale ale or IPA? Not too hopped, but more hop profile than my normal stouts and ales?

Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I call it the gateway IPA. Great citrus from the Centennial hops. No bitter. I can taste it just thinking about it:D

hahahaha They all sing they same tune until they have a Lupilin Shift.

so true. many of the beers i used to love are now, meh. i like my own beer more than most commercial beers with the exception of Aud Blonde and Happy Hops from russian river. the whole high alcohol super bitter thing is not for me, i'm more into the aroma and flavor. i need a beer right now....

I like the occasional IPA, but prefer English hops to the grapefruity Casacades that are typical of an American IPA

DRIFTER ! would be perfect. It's a pale.

Pliny The Elder/PTE or a clone of it. IMO is the best gateway IPA I have had with Bells 2H and DFH 90 min. in 2nd and 3rd.

To date I have met very few people that are not hop heads that dislike those above beers. The secret is get them as fresh as possible. Within 30-90 days all the aroma is gone and within 60-120 days the flavor is as well, leaving nothing but the bitter.

I am also gravitating away from overly bitter to extra heavy flavor and aroma additions in my IPAs. A "session" IPA that has low bitterness and high flavor/aroma is on my next to brew list. ;)

I love IPA's/DIPA's, but have had some that taste like lemon Pledge. I love Stouts, but have had some that taste like the soot that comes out of the chimney when it gets cleaned. If I don't like it, I move on. Either way, it won't stop me from trying as many of 'em as I can!

So you had a Sam Adams beer, didn't like it, and YOU'RE SURPRISED?:confused:

Is that supposed to be a slant on Adams? Any beer lover worth their salt will admit they at least make ok beer.

I'd hate to see what you say to your friends when they hand you a Pabst or Yuengling.

I think a few of their beers are ok and a few pretty good,but i wouldnt consider it on the scale of good craft beer at least not in my top 50 or so,but thats just me.Im not snobbing it but there is just something Leinenkugals about it. I did somewhat enjoy the small batch series somewhat.I think the Sam Adams boston lager glass is one of the sweetest finds though,love that curvy shape. One of the most perfect made beer glasses ever,alot of pale ales and ipa's will be drank from this. Just not a Sam Adams beer most likley.:0

Is that supposed to be a slant on Adams? Any beer lover worth their salt will admit they at least make ok beer.

I'd hate to see what you say to your friends when they hand you a Pabst or Yuengling.

Look at his sig

Yeah, sorry, I was messin' around and I was hating more than necessary.

If someone offered me a choice between Sam Adams and Yuengling, I'd take the Yuengling every time. :mug:

IPA just means more hops and alcohol. Nothing special about it. You can make a dark roasty beer that can technically be an IPA, or the lightest colored beer that can also be an IPA. It's just another type like anything else, and like any other style, it's got a lot of variety within it.

If you don't like extremely hoppy IPA's, i'd suggest trying Widmer's Nelson Imperial IPA. It's got enough sweetness to balance the hops and alcohol. Very delicious brew :drunk:

Look at his sig

I don't follow...

Yeah, sorry, I was messin' around and I was hating more than necessary.

If someone offered me a choice between Sam Adams and Yuengling, I'd take the Yuengling every time. :mug:

Sarcasm is sometimes lost in the text. As for which to choose, depends on which Sam. Not a big fan of the Boston. Imperial White on the other hand? I would rape small animals for the opportunity to drink that stuff. Just sayin.

IPA = you like hops

Belgian = you like yeast

Simply as that...they both have their merits and BOTH have taken over the market...most smaller stores around me have an aisle for belgians, and aisle for IPAs and like 2 other choices, a hefe or something...its getting aggrevating

I hated IPAs with a passion for years. In the last couple years my pallet has changed.

Last Friday I went to the local beer store and picked up a bottle of Ruination, Hop Stoopid and a 4 pack of Burton Baton.

Can't get enough hops these days.

But I would still classify RIS as my favorite style.

IPA just means more hops and alcohol. Nothing special about it. You can make a dark roasty beer that can technically be an IPA, or the lightest colored beer that can also be an IPA. It's just another type like anything else, and like any other style, it's got a lot of variety within it.

If you don't like extremely hoppy IPA's, i'd suggest trying Widmer's Nelson Imperial IPA. It's got enough sweetness to balance the hops and alcohol. Very delicious brew :drunk:

This might literally be my favorite beer...Widmer Nelson and Lagunitas Sucks are my two favorites lately, absolutely delicious.

Latest posts

Back