sour starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xhcadamx

Reaction score
I made a sour starter per the latest Zymurgy article. The starter was pretty basic - 1.030 then I added a handful of grain and let it sit in the 80s. Sour Starter is on day 3 and there is some form of fermentation going on (co2 production). It looks like a pellicle is forming on top. Are pellicles normal when making a sour starter?

also, does anyone know if you would have the same results making a sour starter with 50% apple juice (no perservatives) and 50% water. This would give a 1.025(ish) gravity. I have also read elsewhere using apple juice in your starter when working with bugs.

Pellicles are certainly normal for grain-inoculated wort. I've heard of people using apple juice successfully, but I've never tried it myself.

I used the same technique and held mine at about 110 degrees F.
I have done it twice now and the second time a pellicle did form both on my starter and then again in my soured wort after I let it sit for 4 days at 110 degrees F again. Pretty wicked looking!

Latest posts

Back