White flecks in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstrub

Reaction score
I don't have a photo, but my pale ale has been in the secondary carboy for 9 days now. I have noticed just a few white flecks of something either floating or just below the surface. They appear to be just a bit too big to be undissolved One Step from the sanitizing. Any ideas what they could be and if they're an issue? It's my first batch ever and everything else seems to have gone well. Thanks.

Which are not a problem? All the yeast seemed to settle during primary, at least when it wasn't rolling with fermentation. These are just kind of hanging there.

some floaties get bouyed aloft on co3 bubbles...they get to the surface, then they just float up there...some even like it so much they fiz...it's normal...some even form nifty patterns on the surface.

No beer is fully clean on top.

I have the same thing floating around in my secondary right now. It was my first time siphoning from my primary to a secondary and I hit up some of the yeast on the bottom by accident. Anyone know a way to avoid getting it into the bottles when I'm bottling?

I have the same thing floating around in my secondary right now. It was my first time siphoning from my primary to a secondary and I hit up some of the yeast on the bottom by accident. Anyone know a way to avoid getting it into the bottles when I'm bottling?

It will settle back down eventually. Or it will sit on the surface and get stuck in the trub when you are racking to your bottling bucket.

BUT having yeast in your bottles is a necessary thing...what do you think carbonates the beer?

Back