Beer for people who don't like beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slive

Reaction score
"I hate how bitter all beer is. My favorite beer is Coors Light because it's probably the least bitter beer out there. Otherwise I'll just have an amaretto sour or some other mixed drink that tastes good."

That's an ACTUAL conversation I had the other day. Someone found out I brewed beer, and he proceeded to say how all beer is just too bitter and awful and how if he's FORCED to drink beer he prefers it to be Coors Light over anything else. Then he asked if there was anything I could make that could be better than Coors Light.

Seriously.

I don't mean to be a beer snob or anything (as I'm actually drinking a Coors right now), but what the heck can you say to these types of people? "I'm sorry, most beers are bitter, stick to your mixed drinks?"

I suggested that perhaps he might like some type of hefeweisen, as (to me) they seem like the least bitter style of beer out there. I'm not very well-versed in the different styles of beer, however, so I'm welcome to suggestions on what styles I should be introducing this guy to to at least get him interested in beer.

Similarly, have any of you people met folks who think beer is just "too bitter"? Have you ever made a brew to appease them? I'm thinking about making some sort of honey-sweetened hefe, but I'm open to all suggestions.

This is a challenge to my homebrewin' skills! :rockin:

Go with the cherry wheat, similar to the sam adams cherry wheat, I wouldn't even call the sam adams cherry wheat a beer, it is more of a flavored malt beverage... but the people who don't like beer seem to like the cherry wheat.

I would never try to talk someone into drinking something they don't like as I would rather have them show some interest and try some samples. If they don't like it then I don't fret about it one bit.

SWMBO and I went to dinner Friday and sat at the bar area. There were 4-5 guys there that we both know and the conversation started towards beer.

One of them said that Killian's was the best beer he ever had, which received a response of "Everyone knows that Bud Light is the best beer that there is" from one of the other guys.

Sometimes it's just not worth it. I ignored their comments, enjoyed my GLBC Burning River APA and chuckled under my breath at their incredible ignorance on the topic of beer.

My BIL is the same way. He tries to talk to me about beer, but his idea of trying something new is having a Stella, Grolsch or Heineken instead of BMC. Some people just don't get it and they never will - I'm not going to be the guy to make a whole batch of beer to try and convert them. :D

I like the suggestion for the cherry wheat, that could be a fun one. And that sweet hefe was already on the list of things to do, I want to make one of those for myself! :)

I'm not bothered by his comments at all, I just think it's a little sad that the only beers he really knows are the BMC's. Granted, everyone has their favorite beer (Ayinger's Brau-Weisse, mmmmm), but I just think that his is a case of not branching out and actually trying something new.

I just want to give him some samples of different beers that he might actually enjoy, so that when he IS given a situation where he's got to choose a beer, he can choose wisely.

Plus, if he doesn't like it, that means I'll have 5 gallons of a cherry wheat or a honey hefe all to myself, which is certainly welcome. :D

You may also want to think about going malty instead of fruity. Something like an ESB or a nice malty brown ale.

I don't think it's absolute bitterness. Anyone who knows IPAs knows about that. With most commecial mainstream riced/maized lagers it's just that they're so light in body that even the slightest hop bitterness has a bite due to it's non balance. I know Heiny is low IBU but I even get bitter beer face when I attempt to drink it.

Lightly suggest a blonde or cream ale and if you get the same BS, walk away.

That reminds me of the note in a seafood menu at a resteraunt I was eating at in Florida.

"If you don't like seafood that has a fish taste, you should order chicken"

People that don't like a bitter beer will just not like my homebrew and I am not going to try to change them or my beer. They can try some Apfelwein with a splash of cranberry juice.

mrk305 said:
People that don't like a bitter beer will just not like my homebrew and I am not going to try to change them or my beer. They can try some Apfelwein with a splash of cranberry juice.

Are you sure that cranberry juice won't be too bitter?:D

BMC lovers are always going to be just that, BMC lovers. They are kinda like religious fanatics in that no matter how much pleading or debating, they are pretty much never going to change their tune. No matter how much you reason with them about beer, BMC lovers will stand by their Bud light and be appalled that you could think it is a sub-standard beer. Kinda like the religious fanatics who cannot be reasoned with concerning questions about the bible; they just call it blasphemous that you could even think about questioning the holy book. In the end I guess, they'll never know any different than what they have learned. But that's okay too. As long as their happy with their decisions...The other thing I sometimes wonder is if the BMC lovers actually enjoy beer? Lets face it, very few start out trying IPAs, Pales, Porters, etc. in high school. Usually its a BMC and the first time you have one isn't that enjoyable (I hated my first beer). But the more you drink that same BMC when your young, the more your brain starts to tell you its good. Plus all the mass marketiing...

Sorry, I was ranting. I guess if I had to make a beer for a BMC lover, I'd make a nice blonde ale (low hop, balanced and light). Kinda in the same vein as a BMC, only better.

Here's the deal: You are not a beer snob. He is.

However, if you want to brew something you think he might like, he's already given you a clue. He likes an amaretto sour. So, try something sweet and nutty, like a Southern Brown Ale or a Traditional Bock. You can go crazy and throw a doppelbock at him, too. Even a sweet stout, oatmeal stout, or brown porter might work. Sure, you'll catch some grief about "dark beer," but just remind him that amaretto also is dark and explain how dark does not mean bitter.

Most importantly, brew something you want. That way, you'll enjoy disposing of the other 4.87 gallons. :)

TL

Back