Brown sugar as priming sugar in NB Nut Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonzoAPD

Reaction score
I am thinking of using Brown sugar as my priming sugar for my Northern Brewer Nut Brown Ale. Is this a good or bad idea? Would I add the same amount as I would if I used regular priming sugar?

Priming Sugar Calculator

You can prime with brown sugar. It will affect the flavor. I think you should brew the kit recipe as it was intended. After you've tasted it, you can change the recipe to your liking. Alternatively, you can prime half your recipe with sugar and half with brown sugar for side-by-side comparisons.

Edit: Uniondr is also correct about the flavor. You might not notice the flavor change.

You use just a tiny bit more. The taste difference will be mostly negligible although it is possible to have a super faint taste difference if it is vastly different from the original brew. I personally like to carb with DME as the bubbles seem to be finer but that could be a subconscious association to be fair.

As was posted above, NB has a really terrific carb'ing tool link. I usually go with 2-2.5 volumes in the beers I make but if you've got one that requires less adjust accordingly. Just remember, standard beer bottles are only rated for like 3-3.5 volumes or something like that.

Back