Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a fermentation time lapse of my Pumpkin Ale. I screwed up my calculations for volumes doing BIAB and came up about a gallon short!! Still smells yummy out of the airlock! The two packs of Proofed US-05 took off nicely.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXbOc_sQsxM[/ame]

I've been looking forward to brewing this for a while now and I think I can get it done this weekend. My pumpkin ale didn't turn out so hot last year, hopefully this will remedy that :mug:
Quick question though, I'm going to bottle a blonde ale with Nottingham this weekend. The blonde used yeast cake from a DFH 60 minute IPA, so it's been used to ferment two batches.
First off, is Nottingham an acceptable substitute, and secondly does using a yeast cake for a third time sound like a good idea?
I've got US-05, so I guess I could harvest the nottingham and pitch us-05.

I look forward to tasting this! Tried steeping a bit less special roast and added some victory to compensate. Hopefully I didnt mess it up. Briess state it can be steeped but I assume I won't get as strong of a biscuit taste as if it was mashed! Thanks for the recipe! Hit 1.070!

View attachment 218242

After 8 days in, pretty much at estimated FG. 82% attenuation from that S-04. It's brutal. Went from 1.070 to 1.012. Was too anxious to see where it was at after a week. Fermented at 60*F, still got slight notes of banana though. Will leave it in for another week or two before bottle then condition for a month at least in bottles. Here's to hoping that small off taste goes! :)

I'm loving all of this thread activity! I'm sure I've said it before in this thread but my favorite part of brewing is sharing. Whether it's sharing finished product, ingredients, techniques, ridiculous stories, and (in this case) recipes, it reaffirms my love for the hobby and the culture of homebrewing and craft brew.

Now it's really time to get cracking on my batch for this year. I've been working out of town so much or pulling 30+ hour shifts that I can't even plan a brewday less than half a day ahead of time. And that, my fellow brewers, does not fly with me. Hell, we've been planning a vacation in October (that we've done three times, btw) since June.

But enough of the side-track... BREW ON, FRIENDS!

Been following this thread and finally bought the ingredients today. Brew comes Saturday. Reno, thanks in advance for the recipe, and it's great to see you have stuck with the thread for so long.

Now I just need to empty the wine cooler, rip out the shelves, and pray my fermenting bucket fits.

Took the yeast starter off the stir plate this morning. It is currently in the refrigerator. Brew day is supposed to be today but it is currently raining and I do not have an indoor setup. May push back brew day to tomorrow. I have a Hoegaarden clone in the Brew Room that needs to be bottled today or tomorrow, so may flip flop the two.

Would rice hulls be necessary for extract recipe? Not having to separate spent mash, should I just be careful not to get huge amounts of pumpkin in the fermentor? Just not sure what to do with the pumpkin during the boil.

Putting my rediculously tweaked version of this recipe in secondary tomorrow for about 3 weeks then keg and carb! Im enjoying a pint of my red ipa and thinking about pumpkins!!

1408769172171.jpg

Would rice hulls be necessary for extract recipe? Not having to separate spent mash, should I just be careful not to get huge amounts of pumpkin in the fermentor? Just not sure what to do with the pumpkin during the boil.

I don't think rice hulls are necessary for extract, but I'm not sure about what to do with the pumpkin. Maybe steep it?

Brewed this recipe yesterday. Has a nice krausen on top already. Blow off tube is in place. Will post some pictures of the brew day later on today.:ban:

I don't think rice hulls are necessary for extract, but I'm not sure about what to do with the pumpkin. Maybe steep it?
Correct, rice hulls are not necessary for extract. Steep the pumpkin for about 30 minutes before you add everything else. I edited the OP to add more information.

You need a mini-mash/partial mash if you want to put some pumpkin in there!
Not so. See above. :mug:

Correct, rice hulls are not necessary for extract. Steep the pumpkin for about 30 minutes before you add everything else. I edited the OP to add more information.

Not so. See above. :mug:

Sorry about the multiple posts.

So steeping it just while water is heating up it does it need to boil? And should i filter it out or keep the pumpkin in a moslin bag? Or will is settle like the hop pellets etc?

I believe so. Unless you have some other way of filtering out the pumpkin you'll end up with a ton of trub doing into your fermentor.

Heating up some water for a quick BIAB dunk sparge before I get the boil going on this brew. Can't wait!

Blow off tube needed on the carboy for me. I have a huge krausen built up and its spewing through the tube.

Mine's in the carboy now coming to room temp. I'll pitch sometime this evening...fairly sure I'll need a blowoff tube too.
My wort didn't smell as pumpkiny as I was thinking it would, but the scent was definitely there. Can't wait for this one to be in my belly.

I had just enough headspace in my 6 gallon carboy. Krausen is now settling down. Will probably rack this one to secondary in a couple of days.

Damn Dago, that's one hella clear pumpkin ale ! What was your secret?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah that's completely retarded clear if it's coming straight from the fermenter!

Im a ninja! All I do is vorlauf forever, pitch yeast and watch it go! I used 2 lbs of rice hulls for the batch, not sure if that helps with clearing it. Made a huge healthy starter of wlp099 sd super yeast.

Im a ninja! All I do is vorlauf forever, pitch yeast and watch it go! I used 2 lbs of rice hulls for the batch, not sure if that helps with clearing it. Made a huge healthy starter of wlp099 sd super yeast.

That's awesome! Mine was clear as day going in, but used S-04! S-04 always comes out with some bad haze! Usually clears out some if I leave it for 3-4 weeks, cold crash and leave it in the fridge for at least a week. Must be the strain you used! :)

Reno,

I use mash out; so right now Beersmith has me at 16.25 qts. of water for mash in and 9.10 qts. of water for mash out. Then 2 gallons of sparge. Would you suggest 24 qts of water at mash in and then keep the rest of the schedule? It seems like 2 extra gallons of water would be way too much for just the pumpkin absorption, but please let me know your thoughts! Thanks! Brew day will be Sunday for this wonderful brew!!

ARI

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back