Pickup Tube Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
I just ordered 2 pick-up/dip tubes from BargainFittings, one for my MLT which will have a false bottom with the dip tube going through the center of it, then one my my HLT.

My question is, how close is too close to the bottom of the keg for the dip tubes to rest? Obviously you want to get as much liquid out as possible during any stage of the brew day, but both of these dip tubes are literally scrapping against the bottom of the keg.

I know it's not like they created a seal and won't drain at all, but is it possible that it will slow down the flow too much when I open the valve and turn the pump on?

Thanks!

It can restrict flow if it's too low. To avoid this you need roughly as much area between the bottom of the pot and the diptube as the area of a cross section of your plumbing. For 1/2" ID plumbing, that means the diptube should be ~1/4" off of the bottom.

It can restrict flow if it's too low. To avoid this you need roughly as much area between the bottom of the pot and the diptube as the area of a cross section of your plumbing. For 1/2" ID plumbing, that means the diptube should be ~1/4" off of the bottom.

Ok, that sounds better.

Is there an effective way to cut such a small amount of SS tubing? Would grinding it down be my only option?

Use a tubing cutter. They sell them at pretty much all hardware stores.

Make sure to modify the bottom end of the dip tube in such a way to prevent clogging.

I vote hacksaw, grinder, or dremel. But my goal is usable (but not necessarily pretty) equipment.

I had a tube cutter laying around I used for some copper before and it worked. I assumed it wouldn't of worked on SS.. although it kind of messed up the blade.

Thanks for the help!

Back