White IPA ( WIPA )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
On a long road trip I travelled up to Deschutes Brewery in Bend Oregon. At the brew pub I drank all sorts of what they had to offer. One that caught my attention was their WIPA, which was a hybrid mix of a White Ale and an IPA. I got a growler of it and I am now officially obsessed with it. I'm afraid that once this growler is gone I will not be able to find anything close.

Anyone ever try this beer, and more so, any one know where to get it? Any recipes, or comparable beers near the Pasadena, CA area would be greatly appreciated.

I've had Belgian whites,& American versions Goose Island & Shock Top from Giant Eagle. But Deschutes...? Have to look around again. Maybe Super K? They carry some GE doesn't...

That definitely isn't one you're going to find in a bottle...

I haven't tried it - might have to head down to the Portland pub and see if they have it on tap there.

Was this on tap at the brewery or at the public house? It's been too long since I've been to either. But, at least you have an extra fancy growler to remember it by.

I just had to come up with a recipe... :mug:

Keep in mind that I've never brewed this nor have I tasted the beer you mentioned.

12 gallons, 80% efficiency

Type: All Grain
Date: 4/8/2011
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs 2-row (1.8 SRM) Grain 47.83 %
11 lbs White Wheat Malt #2 (2.4 SRM) Grain 47.83 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
2.50 oz Chinook [12.80 %] (60 min) Hops 45.8 IBU
3.00 oz Centennial [9.20 %] (15 min) Hops 19.6 IBU
3.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.67 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.65 %
Bitterness: 65.4 IBU Calories: 245 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash 153F for 90 minutes

Ferment with a combo of Wyeast 3068 AND 1056 @68-70F.

I was sort of thinking of actually doing a heavy hopped white ale with the calypso hops I just picked up maybe mixed with some Citra. I can't get my flaked wheat and pils soon enough from the club buy!

I just had to come up with a recipe... :mug:

Keep in mind that I've never brewed this nor have I tasted the beer you mentioned.

12 gallons, 80% efficiency

Type: All Grain
Date: 4/8/2011
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs 2-row (1.8 SRM) Grain 47.83 %
11 lbs White Wheat Malt #2 (2.4 SRM) Grain 47.83 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
2.50 oz Chinook [12.80 %] (60 min) Hops 45.8 IBU
3.00 oz Centennial [9.20 %] (15 min) Hops 19.6 IBU
3.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.67 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.65 %
Bitterness: 65.4 IBU Calories: 245 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash 153F for 90 minutes

Ferment with a combo of Wyeast 3068 AND 1056 @68-70F.
I wouldn't use a hefe yeast for anything that's supposed to resemble a white ale. I would just ferment with WLP400.

think this thread has inspired me to do something like it... gonna do a wit IPA american grains, white wheat, american hops, and s-33...

might get tweaked between now and brew day (i have a barleywine and a flanders to do first), but good thread - this is why i like this place.

Boulevard Brewery out of Kansas City, MO and Deschutes are teaming up to make a White IPA available this summer:

http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/boulevard-and-deschutes-collaboration.html

Just found this at the liqour store last night. It's part of the Boulevard Smokestack series. There was a hand written note taped to the shelf: "limit two per customer"

I bought a bottle and tried it - darn good! Hopefully there will be more left when I go back to the store on Friday.

Just found this at the liqour store last night. It's part of the Boulevard Smokestack series. There was a hand written note taped to the shelf: "limit two per customer"

I bought a bottle and tried it - darn good! Hopefully there will be more left when I go back to the store on Friday.

There won't be, if you live in Kansas City. If you live in Topeka, it will be in the store for a year. If you live in Des Moines, forever.

It's Collaboration No. 2 from Boulevard and Conflux No. 2 from Deschutes. The Deschutes version is available regionally. Not sure about availability of Boulevard's version but my brother, who lives in Nebraska, is bringing some out to me, Smokey and the Bandit style! (Note to self, send another kind note to Boulevard asking them to expand West Coast distribution).
I've had about six 22s of Deschutes Conflux. It is easily on the top five of my personal favorites. Can't say enough about this beer.
They had another white IPA on tap at their Bend pub house earlier this summer called Chainbreaker. I liked that a lot but Conflux is a much more accomplished White IPA.

I tried the Boulevard version a few weeks back and enjoyed it - recently saw the Deschutes version show up as well. Is there much difference between the two?

I believe the Boulevard and Deschutes versions are the same recipe so any differences would be from their systems or possibly water.

still meaning to do this - i'm brewing tonight and it's either a belgian white IPA or a black saison... still not sure which - last minute trip to the brew store will be my deciding factor.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/recipes on this style of beer for a beginner doing extract (not all-grain)? Not necessarily looking for a clone, just a nice belgian wit-meets-IPA concept.

Yeah the Boulevard-Deschutes White IPA was amazing. Missed out on having it on tap, but I had it from the bottle.

I remember Boulevard having a version of their single-wide IPA made with their Tank 7 yeast that they use to brew their farmhouse ale. That was also delicious.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/recipes on this style of beer for a beginner doing extract (not all-grain)? Not necessarily looking for a clone, just a nice belgian wit-meets-IPA concept.

I'll throw something out there :)

Are you capable of doing a partial mash (see death brewer's sticky in the beginning brewers section of the forum)?

Start with your objectives, light color, decent body, wheat, heavier on the hops and aroma, citrus, orange and coriander... Playing around with the idea and style, I ended up with the following idea(s) (these numbers for a 5 gallon batch):

Fermentables:

4lbs Extra light dry extract (base, light color, add with 20min left in boil to keep from darkening)
4lbs White Wheat Malt (wheat addition, good for the style, light)
.25 - .50lbs Carafoam (increasing the body, geared towards the IPA side of the beer)

Low temp mash for your grains, 60+ minutes

60 minute boil - Use of both German "spicy" hops and a solid American hop that harbors citrus floral notes but also contributes to the "spice" of the beer, coriander and orange as well, something like the following:

(60) - 0.50oz centennial
(60) - 1.00oz hallertauer
(15) - 0.50oz tettnang
(10) - 0.50oz tettnang
(05) - 0.50oz centennial
(05) - 0.50oz crushed coriander seed
(05) - 1.00oz orange peel
(00) - 1.00oz centennial (Optional, I like hops)

One solid bitter addition that will set most of the bitterness, then everything else on the back end of the boil geared towards aroma,

As far as your yeast goes, I would probably go with WLP410 (Belgian Wit II) however like mentioned before in this topic you could always mix a wit and ale yeast to create a unique flavor, I wouldn't have much to say on this one though I've never mixed yeasts (that I know of :p)

Brewing the above would put you at the following:

1.058-1.062 OG (Heavier than a standard Wit, mid - lower side of an IPA)
1.012-1.016 FG (Heavier than a standard Wit, lower side of an IPA)
4.0-4.4 SRM (Typical, slightly dark color for a Wit, very light for an IPA)
42-45 IBU (Over double your average Wit, light for an IPA)
Estimated 5.6-6.0% ABV

I've only brewed 1 beer that was geared towards the style of a Wit but after tweaking everything out we ended up with a darker wheat, it still rocked, we hopped it pretty heavily, added the coriander and orange as I noted above.

I have a vacation coming up over Labor day, maybe I'll brew this. From where I'm sitting it doesn't look too bad :mug:

I am quite thirsty though...

sounds like each brewery has a different variation of the beer but same recipe

http://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/collaboration-2/

Working from a single recipe, brewmasters Steven Pauwels of Boulevard and Larry Sidor of Deschutes have produced two separate beers, more than 1,600 miles apart.

Despite the beer’s shared recipe, each of the two versions possess a unique identity, reflected in their naming and packaging.

Color (EBC) 10
Bitterness (IBUs) 42
Original Gravity (Plato) 17
Terminal Gravity (Plato) 3.4
Alcohol (ABV) 7.4%
CO2 - Bottles 3.29 vol. (5.1 g/L)
CO2 - Kegs 2.58 vol. (6.5 g/L)

they use lemongrass and sage along with a belgian yeast - i bet you could harvest the yeast if you can get your hands on a bottle since it's bottle conditioned

I'll throw something out there :)

Are you capable of doing a partial mash (see death brewer's sticky in the beginning brewers section of the forum)?

Just looked through that sticky. I think I can pull that off.
Am going to do one or two more extract batches (this weekend) and then I think I am going to give this a try in a couple weeks when I have a primary available.
THANKS!
:mug:

did one of these tonight.. convinced myself in order to be an IPA it had to have crystal (10 in my case) in it... bittered with tomahawk and slammed it with styrian gold at the end... using wyeast abbeey II (1792?)... mashed low... we'll see.

Just looked through that sticky. I think I can pull that off.
Am going to do one or two more extract batches (this weekend) and then I think I am going to give this a try in a couple weeks when I have a primary available.
THANKS!
:mug:

Always glad to help :mug:

Run with it how you will, I'll let you know if I brew it as well.

Boulevard Brewery out of Kansas City, MO and Deschutes are teaming up to make a White IPA available this summer:

http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/boulevard-and-deschutes-collaboration.html

I tried this last night and it was VERY good. I didn't actually know what I was doing so I almost messed it up. I read on the label that it was a wit beer, but after already drinking a few, I also saw that it was an IPA... so I just cracked it open and poured a small glass. Beautiful aroma, but it was as clear as a bell. So clear that I said aloud "I thought this was a wit beer, but this looks like a normal IPA." Only when I got towards the last third of the bottle did I find that it was getting cloudy and that it was not a normal IPA. Anyway, even drinking it that way, it was still very beautiful.

belgo_beer_prodshot_sm.png

So I picked up a 6 pack of this last night and tried it - strange. It's an IPA with white wheat and Trappist yeast, I drank 2 (poured into a pint glass) and it just didn't settle on my pallet correctly, it seemed as if an American IPA was fighting for the top spot with a Belgian White. Hops include Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, and Amarillo. Reading on the site it stated the malts were 2row and C120, however the bottle also claims white wheat.

Interesting...

Blending beers is something that breweries have hardly touched on, and home brewers haven't really touched on at all. That's one of my brewing goals for 2012, is to work on more blends.

I've been debating brewing a Burton Baton clone I put together before this winter hits, that would be a good home brew blender - Imperial IPA and an English Brown combined.

Would be a nice warmer in a cold snowy February...

OK, I’ve poked around the best I could to get more information on these to try and put something together. Not a clone per se, just something near or in the same ballpark.
Based on numbers from both Deschutes and Boulevard as well as some of the descriptive qualities, I put some ideas down. I ran them past a friend who is a much more experienced homebrewer than I and he offered some tweaks. I’m just an extract brewer for now so I am stuck with those limitations. So here is what I am thinking:

WHITE IPA (Inspired by Deschutes and Boulevard Conflux / Collaboration No. 2) - Extract
9.0 Northern Brewer Wheat Malt Syrup
1.0 Briess Golden Light DME

0.6 oz Warrior (60)
0.5 oz Centennial (25)
0.5 oz Citra (25)
0.5 oz Cascade (10)
0.5 oz cracked coriander (5)
0.5 oz bitter orange peel (5)

0.5 oz Cascade (DH 7 days)
0.5 oz Centennial (DH 7 days)
0.5 oz Citra (DH 7 days)
0.5 oz Lemongrass (DH 7 days)
0.5 oz Clementine zest (DH 7 days)
1.0 oz Sage (DH 7 days)

White Labs Belgian Wit Ale (WLP400)

Color (EBC): 11
Bitterness (Rager): 59.4 IBU
OG: 1.074
FG: 1.018
Alcohol: 7.5%

Some other considerations I am thinking about:
Altering fermentables to 6 lbs of NB Wheat Malt Syrup + 3.5 lbs of NB Pilsen LME (and keeping the Briess DME)
Using Wyeast 3463 “Forbidden Fruit” yeast
Using Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit

I’m at least a month away from trying this (based on what I have going right now). But wanted to throw this out there and get some thoughts on it. Would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks!

I've talked to one of the brewers, and he hinted of Rosemary being used

That's interesting. Was it one of the Boulevard brewers? Their version is a tad different from Deschutes. They've said they used the same recipe so I've chalked up the differences to water and other variables.

I was just in Indianapolis and had a white IPA called Wise Ass at
3 wise men brewery. 7.5%, 91 IBU's and it was fantastic. They add lemongrass, orange and coriander. I'm hoping to try brewing one soon. I just can't decide on yeast. A wheat yeast or lean ale yeast.

Dannost said:
I was just in Indianapolis and had a white IPA called Wise Ass at
3 wise men brewery. 7.5%, 91 IBU's and it was fantastic. They add lemongrass, orange and coriander. I'm hoping to try brewing one soon. I just can't decide on yeast. A wheat yeast or lean ale yeast.

Their website says Belgian yeast. It sounds great and along the same lines as what I want but higher IBUs.

Just emailed Blvd to see if they'll give me any more information about this beer. I'll report back if they give me anything useful. Would LOVE to make a beer that's even remotely like this.

wittmania said:
Just emailed Blvd to see if they'll give me any more information about this beer. I'll report back if they give me anything useful. Would LOVE to make a beer that's even remotely like this.

Here's what they sent to me. I'm adjusting my extract recipe slightly based on this

---------------------
Our Collaboration #2 White India Pale Ale featured collaborative brewing efforts with Deschutes Brewery of Bend, OR. While I would love to tell you that this special beer will be made again, at this time there are no plans to do second release.

Here's a bit of info about the recipe for the White I.P.A. I'll throw you some percentages for the grain bill and some IBUs from the hop bill.

Malt %
Pilsner 57.1
Wheat 15.5
Malted Wheat 25.0
Flaked Oats 2.4
We also increased Plato by .5 degrees with a dextrose addition in the kettle

Hops (IBU amounts)
Bravo 21 10 min after beginning of boil
Citra 11.6
Cascade 9
Centennial 8 these three at 65 after
Citra 3
Cascade 1.7
Centennial 2.6 these three at flameout

Dry Hopping/Spices
Citra .113 kg/bbl
Cascade .159 kg/bbl
Centennial .113 kg/bbl
Lemongrass
Sage

Ferment with Belgian yeast at 21 C
Starting Plato should be 17 and finishing should be 3.4

I came up with this recipe called Big White Ass. Brewed it 2/26/12 and it is in primary.

60% 2-row
33% wheat malt
7% Vienna

Cascade, centennial and zythos blend for 58 IBU'S.

I split a 10 gallon batch and pitched s-05 on half and Belgian saison yeast on the other half. I can't wait to see what happens.

So has anyone tried brewing this yet? How did it come out? I'm interested in brewing one of these for the warm weather soon.

Back