Pitching Washed Without Yeast Without Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
So due to lack of planning and holiday activities I just started brewing and realized I didn't make a starter for my s-o5 yeast. I was wondering if anyone has had any success with using some preboiled water poured over the decanted yeast, and then just pitching the washed yeast. I have a mason jar with about a half inch of compacted yeast that was washed 2 weeks ago.

I think the best bet is going to be to create a starter and just pitch tomorrow evening at high krausen.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

So due to lack of planning and holiday activities I just started brewing and realized I didn't make a starter for my s-o5 yeast. I was wondering if anyone has had any success with using some preboiled water poured over the decanted yeast, and then just pitching the washed yeast. I have a mason jar with about a half inch of compacted yeast that was washed 2 weeks ago.

I think the best bet is going to be to create a starter and just pitch tomorrow evening at high krausen.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

If I recall, I did something similar years ago...sped washed some yeast with distilled then pitched a large slurry of it. And it worked fine. It will mean more than likely that you'll have lag time while it re-produces enough to do the job.

But since it's washed us-05, which means more than likely there is a ton of viable cells there, then it may take off at a reasonable time.

Just looked at the title of my thread, really professional work! I'm thinking I may just pitch two mason jars worth. I think that would probably get my cell count up a bit and help with my lag time.

ive done it with washed T-58 belgian yeast, and it turned out either infected or i had severe off flavors from yeast....that could have been an exception though.

Just looked at the title of my thread, really professional work! I'm thinking I may just pitch two mason jars worth. I think that would probably get my cell count up a bit and help with my lag time.

Best Idea yet!!!!!!!!

The other thing, when are you brewing??? If you are pitching yeast 8 hours from now, you COULD make a starter and pitch it all in then...there should in theory be some activity, so they may be awake then and working already.

Almost every commercial brewery repitches yeast from prior batches without making any sort of starter.

Im brewing now, about to throw the chiller in, in about 20 minutes. I may just go ahead and make that starter as it really doesn't worry me to pitch yeast 12 hours from now. That will probably ensure me the highest number of viable yeasties.

And aren't we talking about gallons of yeast slurry in commercial situations?

There's a little bit of a difference here.

that was exactly my point Revvy.

A commercial brewery pitching directly onto a huge yeast cake is completely different from a homebrewer capturing a few tablespoons of washed yeast and storing it in the fridge.

Regardless, the OP is doing the correct thing, IMO.

that was exactly my point Revvy.

A commercial brewery pitching directly onto a huge yeast cake is completely different from a homebrewer capturing a few tablespoons of washed yeast and storing it in the fridge.

Regardless, the OP is doing the correct thing, IMO.

How is it different....you thinking about this way too generally. A couple tablespoons of washed yeast in a 5 gallon batch is definitely equivalent to gallons of yeast slurry in a commercial operation.

Back