Can anyone identify these kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handle

Reaction score
Hey all,

I found someone selling these kegs pretty cheap, but the seller knows little about them (not a homebrewer) and I wanted to see if anyone had a clue as to what these are, or if they can be used for homebrewing. I'm just getting into homebrewing and wanted to see if they were a viable alternative to Corny kegs.

http://images.craigslist.org/3n33k43m35Od5T95P399scf9b2985268a12a7.jpg

I don't know much about them, but the lid doesn't look like the Corny lid. The seller describes them as soda premix tanks, and that they are 4 3/4 gallons.

Any clue?

Thanks guys,

Daniel

Looks like regular corny kegs to me, they may be pin-lock though, can't get a good look at the post placement from the pic. Either way you should be able to use them as long as they hold pressure.

Those look like my pin locks. Shorter and fatter than my ball locks. Don't know if thats always the case, but my pins are shaped like those. Ask for better pictures of the posts and the lid.

Hey all,

I found someone selling these kegs pretty cheap, but the seller knows little about them (not a homebrewer) and I wanted to see if anyone had a clue as to what these are, or if they can be used for homebrewing. I'm just getting into homebrewing and wanted to see if they were a viable alternative to Corny kegs.

http://images.craigslist.org/3n33k43m35Od5T95P399scf9b2985268a12a7.jpg

I don't know much about them, but the lid doesn't look like the Corny lid. The seller describes them as soda premix tanks, and that they are 4 3/4 gallons.

Any clue?

Thanks guys,

Daniel

I can't say for sure but they look and sound like the one oddball I have. Its an older Coke pin lock thats 4.75 gallons. All the rest I have are 5 gallon. I sold most of the pin locks off and just have 3 two 5's and the one 4.75 that I will eventually get rid of as soon as they are empty

the lid is like mine has a metal stub on it that for the life of me can't figure out what it was for . Its not a pressure relief as its solid

I can't say for sure but they look and sound like the one oddball I have. Its an older Coke pin lock thats 4.75 gallons. All the rest I have are 5 gallon. I sold most of the pin locks off and just have 3 two 5's and the one 4.75 that I will eventually get rid of as soon as they are empty

the lid is like mine has a metal stub on it that for the life of me can't figure out what it was for . Its not a pressure relief as its solid

Very interesting. The fact that yours has the metal knob and is 4.75 gallons makes me think they could be the same.

At the risk of having someone find them and buy them from under me, I'll say that I'm able to get these for $10 a keg. Think that's worth it for the inconvenience of not getting a full five gallon batch in it? I guess I could always bottle 1/4 of a gallon and keg the rest?

Very interesting. The fact that yours has the metal knob and is 4.75 gallons makes me think they could be the same.

At the risk of having someone find them and buy them from under me, I'll say that I'm able to get these for $10 a keg. Think that's worth it for the inconvenience of not getting a full five gallon batch in it? I guess I could always bottle 1/4 of a gallon and keg the rest?

10 $ a keg is a good price I use the 4.75 for Apfelwein .

Back