Brewing Under the Sun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
If I brew in the middle of the day and the sun is shinning right on the boiling wort does it affect my beer? I know sunlight is bad for hops and my hops are in the wort, so I am thinking it is probably not the best situation. Is there truth to this theory?

Been wondering the same thing... when I move outdoors with the propane burner I plan to buy, I imagine I'll brew under a portable canopy on the deck, if only to keep the sun off me and help prevent the random chunk of whatever from falling into the brew pot.

-Steve

You're not out there long enough for it to matter. Now, if you ferment in a carboy in the sun, different story.

Of course, it's probably better for you and your health to brew in the shade. :)

I have one of those patio umbrellas to brew under. It makes a huge difference in comfort. I am in Texas so it gets hot here.

I'm in Connecticut-- it's barely gotten above 80 on a couple of days so far. It's been a very cool spring.

-Steve

It's post fermentation when light stiking the beer is bad.....NOT during the brewing process...Relax....beer was brewed outside for a LOOONG time before commercial breweries existed.

Not too different from this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAU4bhjCB08]YouTube - Ancestral Ale: Brewing In Colonial America[/ame]

Relax!!!!!! Bazillions of gallons of beer have been brewed outside in the sun...and you don't see any posts about skunked beer from that...nor mention of it in books....we wouldn't be doing it if it were inherently bad for the beer.

Geez, it was just a theory. I cannot really change my process as my tower is over 9ft tall with Keggle on top. My beers turn out fine, I am very relaxed, but had a question and that is what I thought this forum was intended for. Thanks to all for your input without the sassyness.

Geez, it was just a theory. I cannot really change my process as my tower is over 9ft tall with Keggle on top. My beers turn out fine, I am very relaxed, but had a question and that is what I thought this forum was intended for. Thanks to all for your input without the sassyness.

Um..if you are referring to MY posts, I wasn't trying to be sassy...I WAS TRYING to calm your concerns.....

It's not like I said you were an idiot or something for asking (we get this question on occasion)...I just said to realx, we've been doing it for a LONG time....Hence the video on colonial brewing to prove the point...nothing in there was intended to offend....or be "sassy"

We, and books tell so much about what to and what not to do...To sanitize....not to pour your beer into the secondary from a high hieght, to use a hydrometer.....so saying that if it were bad, we wouldn't be doing it...is logical....NOT sassy.....

WTF??????? NONE of us where "Sassy" to you.....Telling you to "relax" is being sassy???WTF??????

Thanks to all for your input without the sassyness.

Yeah, HBT is like quaffing 100 IBU's of sass. :cross:

Seriously, Revvy (I'm assuming that's who you're referring to) was just trying to enlighten us all with his usual good humor and no-nonsense approach. He's a bounty of good information.

-Steve

I imagine I'll brew under a portable canopy on the deck.

Clearly here's where YOU were being sassy, but perhaps the OP meant sassy in a good way. Oooh, SavageSteve, he's so sassy! :fro:

Then this from shecky:

Of course, it's probably better for you and your health to brew in the shade. :)

Nuthin' but sass right there.

Then we get Shay telling us about how "hot" it is in Texas and Conpewter busting out the riboflavin talk. After that how can the following not send the sass meter through the roof?

It's post fermentation when light stiking the beer is bad.

Revvy sir, where are your manners?!?!?

Methinks the OP doth protest too much!

Per the vid." i get what i get"

yep that exactly my theory.
Aint to worried about it.

Rock, yea sometimes it hard to get a feel for the tone some of us give off, but none the less we are trying to help.
that being said,, I thought I heard a while ago that it really only takes a few minutes in the sun for hops to start getting skunky and weird like.

Clearly here's where YOU were being sassy, but perhaps the OP meant sassy in a good way. Oooh, SavageSteve, he's so sassy! :fro:

Ask some of my co-workers-- I usually have an extra helping of sass for breakfast, and they are they recipients of the fallout.

-Steve

My wife has "sassy pants" they are not physical pants, more a state of mind. She always is wearing them. When I asked her father for permission to ask her to marry me he told me "Well as you know she is pretty sassy" to which I replied... keeps life interesting! As a side note, I would have asked her no matter what her dad said, but it is a good gesture to ask.

Now that's sassy!

92lsassy1.jpg

Per the vid." i get what i get"

yep that exactly my theory.
Aint to worried about it.

Yeah, I liked that. Heh, I saw the women tending the fire and stuff, he was just watching! Great video Revvy, thnx for posting that. :mug:

Yeah, I liked that. Heh, I saw the women tending the fire and stuff, he was just watching! Great video Revvy, thnx for posting that. :mug:

Just like how he didn't use a hydrometer or thermometer, some of those old recipes didn't have boil or mash times listed, some of them actually said things like "Boil for the length of time it takes to cross a farmer's field and back."

We have a festival in town that recreates life in the 1700's during the French/Indian war, I've been toying with the idea of doing a historical brewing demonstration there, complete with period costumes....I'm trying to lay my hands on the gear though.

But the video also proves that we sweat this brewing thing waay too much....we're making beer here, not doing micro surgery....this stuff has been brewed in some harsh conditions, LONG before we heard about things like germ theory, or even had thermometers and hydrometers....and the majority of it managed to be drinkable, or else, like I have said often, beer would have gone the way of Pepsi Clear and New Coke.....

Like he said, "you just "got what you got." No matter what you did, you made beer, and sassy or not, that's an attitude we all should cop. :mug:

Oh and if I don't see you in this thread anymore;

have_a_sassy_saturday-6483.gif

:D

Yeah, HBT is like quaffing 100 IBU's of sass. :cross:

Seriously, Revvy (I'm assuming that's who you're referring to) was just trying to enlighten us all with his usual good humor and no-nonsense approach. He's a bounty of good information.

-Steve

LOL--

Revvy is the Ruination of posters.

Consumed a fair few pints of a great beer in New Zealand a few weeks back, call "Sassy Red". Would that need to be brewed outside in the sun?

Mac%27s_SR-2005.04.03-15.13.39.jpg

...... and help prevent the random chunk of whatever from falling into the brew pot.

That just made me think of those isolated incidents of frozen airplane waste dropping from the sky and punching a hole through somone's roof.:(

Hey, speaking of which....Mikkeller has stout with cat poo coffee in it. It might be the only time I'd want to try this expensive cat poo coffee!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3YZoyhqb1E]YouTube - Beer Review: Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel[/ame]

I'm in Connecticut-- it's barely gotten above 80 on a couple of days so far. It's been a very cool spring.

-Steve

We haven't had a day without rain in 2 weeks and now its doing this crap. Glad I didn't ride the bike today .penny sized hail lots of lightning and strong winds too

hail3.JPG

hail.JPG

hail3.JPG

hail.JPG

Hey, I enjoyed the video.

We come from a long line of beer heads. Our forefathers knew how to party down. Ever read about the life of Benjamin Franklin? Now that was one sassy dude!

Making drinkable beer is not rocket science. Hitting the numbers is great. But a good beer is a good beer....

Hey, I enjoyed the video.

We come from a long line of beer heads. Our forefathers knew how to party down. Ever read about the life of Benjamin Franklin? Now that was one sassy dude!

Making drinkable beer is not rocket science. Hitting the numbers is great. But a good beer is a good beer....

Have you ever brewed the Ben Franklin Ale recipe that was loosely based on or extrapolated from stuff in Poor Richard's Almanac and his own diaries...a bunch of pro brewers each designed a recipe based on their interpretations, then they voted on which they thought was the best, and also closest to those brewed in the times.

Then it was picked as an AHS "Big Brew Day" recipe brewed across the country on the same day...I usually brew my version as a strong ale and give it as gifts...

But here's some info on the recipe creation.

Poor Richard's Ale -The Benjamin Franklin Tercentenary

Latest posts

Back