star san ph of 1.7?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twst1up

Reaction score
I know less than 3.5/3 and i'm good to go...but i just checked some solution made up last week with my ph meter and its about 1.7...i was stored in my bottling bucket with my IC...(IC really looks clean now too...that couldn't drop the ph could it?)
just make up another batch or can i still use this?

I wouldn't store copper in an acidic solution. It would seem to me that it would dissolve some of the copper into solution. Probably not much, but it could affect the solution.

Resurrecting an old thread...

I recently decided to give Star San a shot as quick and easy spray bottle solution. I was curious about the pH at the proper concentration using RO water. I measured the mixed solution with my calibrated pH meter last night and it showed 1.7. That's pretty d*mn acidic! :eek:

Somewhere between gastric fluid and lemon juice.

starsan.jpg

Oh great, here comes ten threads asking if people can use lemon juice instead of star san. :D

Actually, my first thought was... hmm... I used lemon juice to make mozzarella when I realized I didn't have citric acid. I wonder... can I use StarSan to make cheese?

Or could I use it to invert sugar instead of using acid blend or lemon juice?
Oh, I'm sorry, I know I better than to be serious in a thread gone nuts. :)

Actually, my first thought was... hmm... I used lemon juice to make mozzarella when I realized I didn't have citric acid. I wonder... can I use StarSan to make cheese?

With all the bubbles that would form, you may have figured out how the Swiss make Swiss cheese with all the holes!

Back