New CO2 Tank - How to Fill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derick_Z

Reaction score
I know that CO2 tanks need to be hydro tested every 5 years, but I ordered a kit that included a brand new tank (this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K0FAF0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20), and sort of assumed it would be easy to get filled. In looking over the tank, however, I don't see anything that looks like a hydro test, so I guess they don't test them before shipping..

How can I get it filled? I know nobody will fill it without first checking the test date, but I have read that most exchange places won't even check the date, they'll just give you a new one. What should I do? I'm not sure where to get it tested or how much it would cost, nor am I sure where I could get it filled around here (just found lots of exchange places, all at 20 bucks). Should I just go for it with one of them? Hope they don't notice? Get it tested and filled??

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It says "new" tank. I'm sure the cert is current. It would be numbers stamped around the top of the tank. I lease a tank though the local welding supply house and just swap there. You might try calling a fire extinguisher service center near you for a fill of your shiny new tank.

Carolina Carbonic & Hydro does refills. $25 regardless of size for the first, and $21 for the next however many. So 3 tanks, a 5, 10, and 20 (for example) would cost $25+21+21.

Remember you need to find a refill station, not an exchange, or else you can say goodbye to your new tank.

It says "new" tank. I'm sure the cert is current.
I thought the same thing, but I don't see anything that resembles a date! There are lots of numbers and letters stamped around the top. One says "DOT-3AL1800", one says "FE0148809", then one says "M4002", one says "10 C 12 B5.2 U18 17.53LB TC-3ALM124 13.42KG CATALINA".
Which could be the certification?

Carolina Carbonic & Hydro does refills. $25 regardless of size for the first, and $21 for the next however many. So 3 tanks, a 5, 10, and 20 (for example) would cost $25+21+21.

Remember you need to find a refill station, not an exchange, or else you can say goodbye to your new tank.

I don't really care too much about losing the tank. It'd be nice to keep, but not if it's going to cost more for the refill than a swap, plus I've heard refills can take days to get back. Thanks for the tip though!

I thought the same thing, but I don't see anything that resembles a date! There are lots of numbers and letters stamped around the top. One says "DOT-3AL1800", one says "FE0148809", then one says "M4002", one says "10 C 12 B5.2 U18 17.53LB TC-3ALM124 13.42KG CATALINA".

I don't really care too much about losing the tank. It'd be nice to keep, but not if it's going to cost more for the refill than a swap, plus I've heard refills can take days to get back. Thanks for the tip though!

I would say it was tested in october from that.

Derick_Z said:

DOT-3AL1800 designates 1800psi aluminum tank. 10C12 could be original inspection of Oct 2012

Now that I look closer, the C looks more like a C with a smaller L in it. What's that for? I had read that the cert would be MM YY, like 10 12 or something. I guess I was thrown off because I didn't expect the letters between them!

Thanks so much!

EDIT: Also, I just found a place (AirGas National Welders) that'll exchange for $16, which is cheaper than every other place I've called. So unless I can find a fill for less than that, I'll probably be heading there!

I use Airgas over in Winston. The location I use usually keeps pretty decent looking 5lb aluminum CO2 cylinders. Bigger than that and you get steel.

Just went and got it filled! They only had steel tanks left, so I just took that. The cert dates on the tank I got were 1983, and then nothing until 11/12!

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Back