my cider is fermenting and i need to move it to my new house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy711

Reaction score
Just mixed a few batches of cider on 11/14 the natural yeast is really taking off now but i am closing on a house i bought and i need to move it to its new home. Will i harm it in any way if i take it on a 4 mile car ride during the fermentation process.

thanks for the help

Just mixed a few batches of cider on 11/14 the natural yeast is really taking off now but i am closing on a house i bought and i need to move it to its new home. Will i harm it in any way if i take it on a 4 mile car ride during the fermentation process.

thanks for the help

It won't hurt it at all. Your in the initial fermentation stages so plenty of CO2 is being produced, so no issues I can see. Be sure the airlocks don't get knocked off not just to keep oxygen from getting in, as that is not a big issue at this time, but more from getting contaminants in the bucket or carboy.

Enjoy the new house :) and the new cider :)

Bumping around will release CO2, you should have towels on hand. The O2 danger really comes after fermentation is complete. Mid-ferm.... your biggest concern is overflow/blowoff as the vessel is disturbed, like the yeast want to stick their heads out the window. Other than making a big mess if you hit a bump, go for it. Do you have decent headspace in the fermenters?

Yea i have plenty of room in the top of my carboys so i think i am a go.

Thanks for the help, i would be kicking myself if i ruined these tasty tasty beverages.

Back