First time using starter, going okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acyr90

Reaction score
So I brewed with my first yeast starter 3 days ago & after doing so learned that yeast starters with dry yeast can be more detrimental than helpful. Here's the info I've gathered so far, help me determine if my beers on the right path.

OG: 1.040
Current G 72 hours later: 1.018
Target FG: 1.010

Absolutely no airlock activity, but I'm using a bucket (this is what's causing me to take the gravity readings)

Also, I used fermcap-S so I can't see any krausen. Just cinnamon looking clumped up things floating on top. Attached is a picture from when I took the gravity reading after 72 hours.

I ASSUME everything is going well, but between it being my first brew with a starter, let alone an effed up starter, I just want to set aside all my worries about a bad batch & hopefully get some assurance that it's all going well.

Is my gravity reading difference a fairly standard drop? Does the fermenter look normal? Thanks for the advice.

Oh and the beers an Irish red ale kit from Midwest if that helps.

image-1358455693.jpg

Looks like you had a good inch or two of krausen so it looks like you made beer! Give it another couple of weeks.

If it's fermenting (which it is), then it's fine. Just leave it for two weeks and check again. Making a starter with dry yeast isn't really BAD, it just removes some of the benefits of dried yeast. But in the end I'm sure it's fine. Why make a starter for such a low gravity beer with dry yeast though?

Because I'm a noob who saw the 'great' benefits of starters. Didn't realize until after its all these benefits are for pros doing more advanced stuff than just basic beginner kits :p Like they say, hindsights 20/20 lol

Because I'm a noob who saw the 'great' benefits of starters. Didn't realize until after its all these benefits are for pros doing more advanced stuff than just basic beginner kits :p Like they say, hindsights 20/20 lol

No, there are absolutely benefits of starters, even for noobs. It's just that with dry yeast and a low gravity beer, one packet is more than enough. Check out MrMalty.com

Oh I get what you're saying. I meant that I was ignorant about the benefits, or lack thereof, of starters for easy kits. It wasn't until after I already pitched did I read up more about how dry packets are perfectly fine just rehydrated and tossed in.

Nonetheless, thanks for the advice and reassurance that my beers looking fine!

Back