Coriander Seed help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King of the Swill

Reaction score
I just received my order from AHB (my clone of a Sunset Wheat) and have a question on how to add the coriander seed. My last kit came with coriander in a powder-like form. This one has the coriander as whole seeds. Do I crush these with a rolling pin or use them whole? Also, if I want to add orange peel can I just use the peel from a fresh orange or do you recommend I use the dried up store bought stuff? Thanks!

King of the Swill said:
I just received my order from AHB (my clone of a Sunset Wheat) and have a question on how to add the coriander seed. My last kit came with coriander in a powder-like form. This one has the coriander as whole seeds. Do I crush these with a rolling pin or use them whole? Also, if I want to add orange peel can I just use the peel from a fresh orange or do you recommend I use the dried up store bought stuff? Thanks!
Crush that coriander real good with a rolling pin.

I prefer using dried orange peel. More consistent results.

I use a Cuisinart Mini-prep food processor to give the grains a good cracking for my Witbier. Always turned out lovely.

-D

From a cooks perspective I would recommend the fresh orange zest. You'll get much more aroma out of the zest than you would any dried counter part. Just make sure that you only get the yellow or orange zest and don't grate into the white rind. That stuff is extremely bitter and won't lend good characters to your brew.

Also, Jamil recommends using fresh Zest in his podcast.

I crush my corriander, and I typically use dried orange peel, but have also used freh with good results.

I keep a cheap coffee grinder around just for grinding spices. Works wonders with the corriander seed.

Jekster said:
From a cooks perspective I would recommend the fresh orange zest. You'll get much more aroma out of the zest than you would any dried counter part. Just make sure that you only get the yellow or orange zest and don't grate into the white rind. That stuff is extremely bitter and won't lend good characters to your brew.

Also, Jamil recommends using fresh Zest in his podcast.

Do I just take an orange an use a cheese grater to grate it? For a 5 gallon batch (2 gal boil) how much do you recommend? I am trying to make a Belgian Wit style brew that I don't want to be too heavy on the spices.

King of the Swill said:
Do I just take an orange an use a cheese grater to grate it? For a 5 gallon batch (2 gal boil) how much do you recommend? I am trying to make a Belgian Wit style brew that I don't want to be too heavy on the spices.

I use .75 Oz of the dried for a 5-gallon batch.

My hunch would be to scrape up about 1.5 - 2 cups of fresh zest. It will be hard for the orange to overpower the beer. Coriander can seem a little overpowering at first, but it really mellows with time.

I did a five gallon wiezen batch not too long ago with corriander and orange peel. I ran the corriander through my grain mill which worked great. Used half an oz. For the orange, I used a hand held kitchen kitchen grater. I used all the zest from one whole orange. Just stood over the brewpot and grated it directly in. I added both for the last 15 mins of the boil. Seemed like just the right amount of both the corriander and the orange to me in the finished product.

One thing I did notice, is the orange flavor became more pronounced over time in the bottle.

Another thing that makes a world of difference in wheat beers is the yeast strain. I really prefered the hefewiezen from white labs.

Good luck! :)

sleepystevenson said:
I did a five gallon wiezen batch not too long ago with corriander and orange peel. I ran the corriander through my grain mill which worked great. Used half an oz. For the orange, I used a hand held kitchen kitchen grater. I used all the zest from one whole orange. Just stood over the brewpot and grated it directly in. I added both for the last 15 mins of the boil. Seemed like just the right amount of both the corriander and the orange to me in the finished product.

One thing I did notice, is the orange flavor became more pronounced over time in the bottle.

Another thing that makes a world of difference in wheat beers is the yeast strain. I really prefered the hefewiezen from white labs.

Good luck! :)
I used fresh zest once and it didn't turn out well, don't know why but since then I've only used dry. Also I've used the coriander seeds whole, crushed and finely ground, and the ground ones add the most to it,

As far as yeast goes, for a wheat my favorite is wlp400, Belgian wit yeast.

I love coriander seeds. They smell like limes to me! I couldn't believe it.

Another good "spice" to use if anyone ever does a maple beer is fenugreek. It smells just like maple syrup.

Latest posts

Back