Split Batch from the Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCBrewer

Reaction score
I'm brewing a five gallon batch of CA Common this weekend. I'd like to dry hop half the batch. Is it a problem to dump the whole 5 gallons into a primary, leave it for 2-3 weeks, and then siphon off half into a secondary for dry hopping? Also, I only have 6 gallon fermentors -- would having 2.5 gallons in 6 gallon fermentors be a problem? Thanks for helping a junior brewer.

You really should rack them to smaller vessels if you are splitting batches like that. 3 gallon better bottles or 3 gallon water jugs if they are recycling code <1> or <2> work great for that.

Thanks Revvy. With the water bottles, do you cap them with a drilled stopper and airlock or something else? thanks

Thanks Revvy. With the water bottles, do you cap them with a drilled stopper and airlock or something else? thanks

You find something that fit. Some take the same stopper as better bottles, some take a stardard orange carboy cap, some you can take the actual lid they came with, poke a hole in the top, and fit a rubber grommet for an airlock on it.

Back