Dunkles Weissbier Dark Star Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
White Labs Hefe
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
[Not tested yet]
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Dark?
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days, 68-70 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Probably none
Tasting Notes
None yet, still fermenting
Recipe first, then brew-day notes:

Grains:
Wheat LME: 3.3 lbs
Wheat DME: 2 lbs
Munich: 1.5 lbs
Special B: 6 oz
Crystal 40: 6 oz
Carafa Special II: 0.2 oz

Hops:
Hallertau, 4.3% AA, 1oz, 60 mins

Adjunct sugars:
8.7 oz Jaggery

1 tsp Irish moss @ 15 min

Ferment at 62F

What the mash was supposed to be:
Strike water at 168 F, 3qts (for 2.375 lbs of grain)
Mashing at 153 F for 1 hr
Sparge w/ 1.2 gallons at 170F, add water to get to pre-boil volume of about 3.6 gallons.

What the mash ACTUALLY was:
Strike at 168 went OK, but I was trying something new. I'm working my way towards all-grain, so I wanted to experiment with a mash tun. I haven't bought one yet, but I DID have my bottling bucket, with a valve in it. Great! I bought a hot-water-heater blanket and basically wrapped the bucket in the blanket for insulation. It turns out that doesn't really help... even though the water went in at the right temps, whenever I checked it was around 140 F... way too low. Waaaay too low. I wound up adding another 1.5 qts to the mash trying to keep the temperature up, but no luck. So until I get a real mash tun, I'm going back to just steeping the grains in a grain bag in the kettle so I can give them fire when need be.

I can't get my basement down to 62. With a wet towel and a fan, I think I've got it around 68F. Oh well. Should still be pretty tasty, if the weird mash didn't hose it too badly.

Going to test/bottle this tonight. Would like to've bottled 2-3 weeks ago, but was traveling. Oh well. What an adventurous brew this is turning out to be...

Haha! I'm such a liar! I didn't bottle until today... sigh.

But! It tastes pretty fun, it'll be nice to see what it's like carbed and chilled. So... give it 2 weeks!

FG was 1016, so that makes ABV somewhere around 5%. Not too bad!

Back