BrewSmith and batch sparge rounds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I'm looking at the trial for BeerSmith and for a recipe I bought it has two rounds of sparging when I picked batch sparge. Round one has 1.36g at 160F and round two has 3.33 at 168F. Does that mean I add the first 1.36g before I do any runoff or is that after I've done my first runoff?

I have always assumed that there should be two runoffs of equal size.

So, in your example, when the mash is complete you would add 1.36Gal and then runoff. Then you would add 3.33Gal and runoff again. You'll have two runoffs, both yielding about 3.33Gal.

Can't say if this is right or wrong (or how Beersmith intended), but that's how I've always done it based on my understanding of batch sparging.

I have always assumed that there should be two runoffs of equal size.

So, in your example, when the mash is complete you would add 1.36Gal and then runoff. Then you would add 3.33Gal and runoff again. You'll have two runoffs, both yielding about 3.33Gal.

Can't say if this is right or wrong (or how Beersmith intended), but that's how I've always done it based on my understanding of batch sparging.

That makes more sense to me. What I did was vorlauf then go right into first draining. Then I added the 1.36g and drained. Then added the 3.3g and drained. Adding the 1.36g first and then draining makes more sense since it's also raising the temp I bit before first runoff.

Just a bit frustrating. The software is nice and detailed but clearly there is some room for more detail in this case.

Back