Beer when you're sick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallDan

Internet Hobo - Sheepmaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Story time: (skip the next two paragraphs if you want to get to the point)

Several years ago when i was just getting into craft beer, I picked up a six pack of Berghoff Hazelnut Winterfest Ale based on a suggestion from a friendly liquor store employee. Why i listened to her i have no idea, i don't like anything hazelnut flavored (although actual hazelnuts are pretty good). I never sought or took her advice again after that. I had one bottle out of the six pack and hated it, then conned some friends into drinking another bottle or two. Months later, i had three bottles of something I really didn't like sitting in the refrigerator, but couldn't get myself to just pour down the drain. They sat in the fridge waiting for some other unsuspecting friend.

A few months later i came down with a bad cold. I missed a day or two of work, which is pretty rare for me, and didn't eat much more than chicken noodle soup for a good part of a week. When i was getting better, I got hungry and ate a bunch, but noticed that i could barely taste anything that i ate. I also craved a beer since I hadn't had one for quite a while, but what's the point if it doesn't taste good? Then it dawned on me, I had the perfect beer for this occasion! I had a couple Hazelnut Winterfest Ales! So, i happily drank a couple and actually enjoyed them because I didn't taste much of them, but knew that i was drinking a beer. :ban:

I'm reminded of that story tonight because i have some sort of sinus infection or the start of a cold and while i can taste things just fine, I can't smell very well. So, after not really enjoying a glass of Zombie Dust (which i normally love), i dug into the fridge to pull out something that wasn't very good and would normally be reserved to boil brats in and am drinking it tonight instead. It's a cold beer on a Monday night, and right now that's good enough.

So, for the conversation, anyone drink beer they don't like when they have a cold? Anyone else have good uses for bad beer besides boiling brats? Thankfully, I haven't had a terrible batch of homebrew yet, 5 gallons would boil an awful lot of brats.

In my younger days, I had the flu and had a fever. A couple friends came over with a case of Budweiser or something, and I decided to just go ahead and drink with them. I drank 8 beers that night, and felt pretty good. The next morning I woke up and felt great, no more flu.

Once in San Felipe, Mexico, I woke up and my tonsils/Uvula were super-swollen up. My Uvula was literally touching the back of my tongue. We had a bunch of Pacifico in the room, plus there was 2-for-1 Margaritas at the bar that day. I drank a whole bunch of beer, and several Margaritas, and later that day the swelling went down and I was back to normal.

If not for being stuck in Mexico, I would have gone to the Navy med center and got them removed (I was in the Navy at that time). I still have my Tonsils to this day.

When I'm sick, I tend to go for whiskey. Sometimes, I'll mix gin and sprite. I save the beer for when I feel better.

Brandy more than whiskey for me when it comes to liquor when I am sick. Small amounts though, having a hangover with a cold is probably what happens to you in hell.

Back