Hangover cures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite hangover cure: tall glass 1/2 filled with ice, 2 shots vodka, crack an egg and mix into vodka, top with zing zang and mix well. Sip through a straw during your morning routine. Don't knock it til ya try it!

I try to keep drinking water while I drink but that usually fails as it gets later and the drinks start coming faster. I try to drink minimum 64 ounces of water before bed and take an aspirin. When I get up to use the bathroom (because I just drank a ton of water right before bed) I take alma-seltzer. that is mostly because it will help my stomach process all the beer/wine/spirits I drank.

In the morning I look for greasy food, a coke, and water. Then I lay around all day. :)

Is this ROCKY with a twist? That would be The original "Rocky".

Possibly? A gentleman much older than myself that I worked with told me that's what his dad did(had his own bloody mary mix), what he does too, and suggested I try it. It's my go to on Saturday morning provided I have the stuff to make it on hand.

berninga87 said:
My favorite hangover cure: tall glass 1/2 filled with ice, 2 shots vodka, crack an egg and mix into vodka, top with zing zang and mix well. Sip through a straw during your morning routine. Don't knock it til ya try it!

Zing zangs for the win the only way I will drink a Bloody Mary

Eggs, bacon, toast, bloody, couch, sports on tv. I'm not sure how well it works but it's a good way to spend a Sunday after a hard one.

This is a myth...a single dose of acetaminophen, or even several appropriately sized doses of tylenol with not harm your liver, even if you have been drinking alcohol...I would caveat that this assumes a healthy liver to begin with, and if that's not the case, well you probably shouldn't be drinking!

Back in the day when I was involved in EMS, a few minutes of huffing on the oxygen would help. In extreme cases, getting your partner to start a line on you and getting a liter of lactated ringers...good stuff...

Oh, and COFFEE!!!

Umm, no. Tylenol poisoning is the #1cause of liver failure in the world. Don't take any chances.

Don't drink sweet girly drinks for one thing. I don't get hangovers much on beer.

The best blocker to prevent hangovers after a drinking night. Before going home, stop off at a White Castle drive thru. Order six wit cheese, onion rings and a large orange drink. That, and keeping one foot on the floor when lying in bed, has never done me wrong. If you don't have White Castles, well then your screwed dude! Let the puking begin.

Actually, I've found a good substitute is a greasy steak-um's sandwich with cheese on a roll with some mayo. ....Damn, I'm not drinking now and I want one anyway.

Two Advil before bed literally works perfectly for me.

You know I think Benadryl is processes by the liver as well??

That's not the whole issue. Tylenol produces a very toxic oxidative metabolic byproduct called NAPQI. It requires a (limited) antioxidant called glutathione to clean it up. Alcohol depletes glutathione, allowing your liver to remain swimming with NAPQI.

You can boost your glutathione level by taking a supplement called N-Acetylcysteine beforehand. It's also used as an antidote for Tylenol overdose. But it's just wiser to use ibuprofen which should work a bit better anyways.

When I wake up I make up a zipfizz drink slam it down and that usually works they have 27 times the electrolytes of 1 gatorade

I support the water, b vitamin, and ibuprofen before drinking, before going to bed and upon waking up. This had saved me from some bad hangovers. Also, don't go to bed drunk, I get the spins and they don't stop with my eyes closed :(

Spicy hot v-8, Gatorade and chili cheese fritos. Arizona green tea with ginseng and honey can sub for the Gatorade. Works like a charm!

One of my favorite hang over drinks that I used to get all the time was Sobe Orange-Carrot. Along with night before water, and Advil, I used to drink the Sobe the next day, and that would clear me up pretty good... I'll be darned if I can find it now.

I start taking Milk Thistle a few days before a session. Then on the day of I load up on multivitamins. The evening of I will also drink lots of water or gatorade right before bed. Seems to work pretty well.

If I'm not blackout I chug no less than 30oz of water before bed, which helps me tremendously. I've only recently started remembering to do this and it makes a world of difference.

If I forget to do that, first order of business is Excedrin Migraine and more water. As far as OTC medicine goes I've never found anything that can come close to Excedrin. I think it's because it has caffeine in it. I only take it after I know I'm not going to sleep anymore because I won't be able to go back to sleep with the caffeine in me.

Then it's wake n' bake and a greasy breakfast, however those remedies aren't exclusive to hangovers.

Yeast is loaded with vitamin B complex which helps your body rehydrate. If I'm not drinking Hefe, I will swirl and drink the dregs of a few bottles after pouring. That with a glass of water (if I remember) at the end of the night seems to help.

When I drink coconut water, I am significantly more hydrated than you.

People in tropical locations are NEVER thirsty.

THe best hangover remedy is to not get one in the first place...
to that effect, when I have a drinking session planned that may get out of hand, I try to drink a lot of water all day. I have recently tried using the MIO sport blend flavorings in there, but I don't have enough data to tell if it works better or not. Also, a couple good meals. Assuming an evening session, eat a good lunch and good dinner before hitting the sauce.
Of course, drinking water and snacking through the drink-fest is a no-brainer.
Sometimes that doesn't keep up, and depending on how bad, I usually can't eat early on. So a couple bottles of ginseng iced tea in place of my morning coffee (yeah, can't drink that either while hung down) and then a good lunch around 2 - 3, and I'm good to go.

God bless having medics as friends...IVs are glorious.

otherwise, a few ounces of bourbon does the trick!

I stick to herbal remedies for hangovers.

I am very scared of prescription drugs, which are peddled by the large drug cartels of the world, and whose drugs are accompanied by very serious warnings.

Flowers that should be legalized in the 35 states outside of the SE states within the next 10 years work very well

Whatever happened to the orange-carrot sobe drink? Anyways having been in the army a good IV has probably been the beat I've ever found, next would be pedialyte.bafter that the standard drinking plenty of water and a few ibuprofens the day after.

I am very scared of prescription drugs, which are peddled by the large drug cartels of the world, and whose drugs are accompanied by very serious warnings.

Right.

That's because they're effective. If you use too much, the desired effect is overly magnified and can be harmful.

Herbal remedies don't require any warnings because they don't actually do anything.

Herbal remedies don't require any warnings because they don't actually do anything.

I wouldn't say that....Have you ever taken some ginger for an upset stomach? Ginger ale, Ginger beer....

That DOES work ;)

Usually chugging water right before bed works for me, but if I forget to:

1) fried chicken livers and gizzards to settle the stomach. works every time.
2) copious amounts of water and ibuprofen for the head.

If I don't have to be anywhere, a little hair of the dog in the form of bloody marys or light lagers.

I find exercise works best for me. It can been really hard to motivate to do it but I think it gets your metabolism going to process all the poisons in your body. My favorite is to do about a 2 hour mountain bike ride. I NEVER feel hung over after that. Hydration is critical to handling a hang over like this as well.

Milk thistle and b vitamin before drinking with 2 glasses of water.... Same when going to bed but add ib profin

I have noticed that after i quit smoking my hang overs have been a lot less severe

Here's mine - it has saved my a$$ many times at many homebrew competitions where I was walking the next morning when I should have been crawling:

BEFORE you go to bed take:
4 x 200mg ibuprofen
1 x zantac, tagamet, tums (whatever you normally take for stomach acid issues)
1-2 x Benadryl
and a big glass of water (at least 8 oz)

As it was explained to me, yes, a major component of the hangover is dehydration (thus the big glass of water); but, in addition, it is also an allergic reaction by your body to the alcohol (a toxin). Your body reacts to the excess alcohol and releases histamine in your tissues, brain and blood. This is why you physically hurt the day after - and why the IV previous posters have mentioned helps so dramatically. You are not only hydrating your body, you are also diluting the concentration of histamine in your blood and helping the rest of your body flush out or reabsorb the remaining histamine.

For you med types out there, here is an abstract from a study of the alcohol-histamine interaction from a study on this done about 12 years ago:

Alcohol and histamine metabolic pathways in the body have the common enzymes aldehyde dehydrogenase and aldehyde oxidase. The metabolite of ethanol, acetaldehyde, can effectively compete with the metabolites of histamine, methylimidazole acetaldehyde, and imidazole acetaldehyde. At the periphery, alcohol and acetaldehyde liberate histamine from its store in mast cells and depress histamine elimination by inhibiting diamine oxidase, resulting in elevated histamine levels in tissues. Histamine mediates alcohol-induced gastric and intestinal damage and bronchial asthma as well as flushing in Orientals. On the other hand, alcohol provokes food-induced histaminosis and histamine intolerance, which is an epidemiological problem. There are many controversial reports concerning the effect of H2 receptor antagonists on ethanol metabolism and the activity of alcohol dehydrogenase in the stomach. In addition, alcohol affects histamine levels in the brain by modulating histamine synthesis, release, and turnover. Histamine receptor antagonists can affect ethanol metabolism and change the sensitivity of animals to the hypnotic effects of alcohol. In contrast to other neurotransmitters, the involvement of the brain histamine system in the mechanisms of the central actions of alcohol and in the pathogenesis of alcoholism is poorly studied and understood.

Right.

That's because they're effective. If you use too much, the desired effect is overly magnified and can be harmful.

Apparently you've only had schwag herb then. The **** I get works very well

Before bed, drink half of a bottle of pedialyte. Drink the other half in the morning after waking up. Then, go on a 3 mile run. Water afterwards, and likely a Bloody Mary some time that day.

I've fine tuned this over the years...works wonders 90% of the time.

Except for a slight effect from anti-inflammatory drugs like NSAIDS(Aspirin etc) or a bit more effect from steroids(prednisolone etc), there most likely does not exist any "good" remedies today.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20712594

However, the most popular theory concerning alcohol hangover is a sort of withdrawal from alcohol intoxication. Or more specifically, the receptors(Mainly GABA and NMDA) in the brain affected by alcohol has been downregulated to account for the increased stimulation from alcohol. The upregulation of these receptors is slower than the metabolism of alcohol And you end up with a system "tuned for alcohol" without any alcohol anymore. This is the case with many neuropharmaceutics as well. To way medical professionals ususally deal with these scenarios is to always build up and build down the administration of said drug to reduce the rapid system up- or downregulations and make for a smoother transition and less side effects. For instance in notorious alcohol abusers, an immideate cold turkey approach with cessation of alcohol without tapering down or using similarily acting drugs(like benzodiasepines) can lead to brain damage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22989012

Some medical professionals speculate that the most viable way to avoid symptoms the day after, might be to implement the knowledge from the field of pharmacology. This would perhaps mean to not drink too fast and try to taper down at the end of the night.

Sometimes, even though we know we have something important the next day, we go ahead and drink way too many homebrews. When we wake up the next morning, we sometimes feel incredibly bad and completely unable to do what we were supposed to. Out brains more simply put still be adjusted for alcohol and therefore without alcohol dysfunctional. At these times maybe taking that morning beer might not be such a bad idea after all? ;)

PS! I am not in any way recommending drinking in the morning, or ever for that matter. Taking a beer in the morning is even sometimes used as an indicator of alcoholism.

Latest posts

Back