Lager Starter Wort Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraypd

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew by first lager and I have a question regarding the starter and advice I have used for ales.

I will be growing up my WLP830 German Lager yeast on a stir plate at room temperature, chilling and decanting off the starter wort before pitching. I have always heard that it is a good idea to taste the starter wort to ensure that there are no off flavors and have done this for my ales.

With lager yeast starters grown up at room temp what will this starter wort taste like? Should I expect the same as I have experienced for ales or will there inherently be some off flavors due to the temperature used and the fact that the starter wort will not lager?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul

Yeah, lager yeast gives off sulfer (egg) smells and other non attractive smells while its fermenting, but these aren't present after lagering and the diacytle rest are done, I use that same yeast and its good, my fermentation only lasted a week compared to other people saying a month! U just have to aerate it more since its a bottom fermentor the yeast doesn't come in contact with air like ale yeast can

Back