Thinking about brewing AHS's Rogue Double IPA... but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This will be my first batch of homebrew. Does anyone have any experience with this kit? Is it difficult to follow/does it take a long time to brew? I really like Rogue's stuff and I bought a bottle of this off the shelf to compare with. Also, does anyone have any experience with their "mini-mash" grains? I have a grain bag and I figured I'd give it a shot. TIA.

Well I called AHS and the guy I talked to strongly reccomended not trying the I2PA as my first brew. I went with their Fat Tire clone instead.

Well, the Fat Tire clone from AHS is a good one. I've done that one twice, and it's a big hit. It's pretty mild flavored, though- hope you won't be disappointed. The mini mash is pretty easy, but I started with the extract and steeping grains to make things simpler. You can do it either way.

Lorena

I wouldn't be so concerned about the mini mash aspect of the kit--from the looks of the kit on the webpage you'll just be steeping the grains instead of actually "mashing" them--a more complicated process than you might want to undertake for your first brew. However, the double IPA is a kind of tricky recipe to pull off--there's so much sugar in the wort that you have to be sure your yeast is really raring to go when you pitch it or you'll end up with some unfermented sugars at the end of the process. Also, it takes kind of a while (a couple months, really) for a beer this strong to really mature and taste as good as it can. If I were you I'd shoot for another IPA kit with a lower alcohol content. There's much more room for error there, and you'll still like the results.

Good luck!

I've done a number of their mini-mashes and they are actual mashes, not steeping; so, temperature control is important. You'll need a really big grain bag, something that can hold 3-5 pounds of grain loosely. Otherwise there won't be enough circulation to mash effectively. If you can find a 24x16 inch or larger bag, you should be fine.

Whoops--I guess those are actual mini-mashes. Here in the frozen midwest I tend to order from Northern Brewer--where is this "Austin" you speak of? A Carribean isle? Mexico?

proton said:
Whoops--I guess those are actual mini-mashes. Here in the frozen midwest I tend to order from Northern Brewer--where is this "Austin" you speak of? A Carribean isle? Mexico?

Austin, Texas:rockin:

:mug:

Back